Pumpkin Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh990311

Reaction score
I am making a pumpkin brew for Christmas and I used a Tru Brew Amber kit. My brew shop said to add 2 cans of pumpkin pie filling the last 10 min of boil and add some pumpkin pie spice. I'm 10 days in the fermenter now so my question is how long in the fermenter and when or should I add more pumpkin pie spice and when to transfer to secondary. I have about 30 days left before I want the beer for drinking. Side note I think the pie filling had a lot of sugar because my brew went crazy the first night and pushed through the airlock, not a lot though.

I am making a pumpkin brew for Christmas and I used a Tru Brew Amber kit. My brew shop said to add 2 cans of pumpkin pie filling the last 10 min of boil and add some pumpkin pie spice. I'm 10 days in the fermenter now so my question is how long in the fermenter and when or should I add more pumpkin pie spice and when to transfer to secondary. I have about 30 days left before I want the beer for drinking. Side note I think the pie filling had a lot of sugar because my brew went crazy the first night and pushed through the airlock, not a lot though.

Don't know if it was totally bad advice, but I've always heard do not use the pumpkin pie filling, use pure pumpkin puree. So I'm not sure what kind of difference that will make. Give it another couple of days and check the gravity. If you're near FG, you can transfer it to secondary. It'll help remove some of the trub you'll likely have and aid in the clearing. Second, taste your hydro sample and see if it needs extra spice or not. I wouldn't add more than a teaspoon and would probably start with a half if you think it needs more. Let it sit in secondary for a few days, then test again.

Are you kegging or bottling? If kegging you have plenty of time, if you are bottling, you really need 2.5 weeks at minimum for them to bottle condition, so keep that in mind.

I was thinking of trying something like this. By pie filling do you mean already sweetened and spiced or don't use any canned pumpkin intended for pies? By pure pumpkin puree, do you mean the unsweetened canned stuff or only fresh pumpkin? Thanks.

I meant you should use Libbys pure pumpkin. It is not the pumpkin pie filling, those are not the same thing. Again, I'm not entirely sure where I remember seeing not to use the pie filling, but the last two I've made have just been the pure puree. Fresh pumpkins work as well, but you will want the pumpkins intended for use in pies.

Back