Project 10der and Mild: 10 Milds in 10 days in Month 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was supposed to brew tonight, but my back is killing me and work is a PITA. i'll brew tomorrow. perhaps i'll make a starter tonight...that'll help the brew finish it's primary ferment in 24 hours or so.

i brewed after all...picked up some of my equipment to brew at home. here's the final recipe, a rendition of my Little Red Hen Ale with chocolate malt added:

English Mild

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

11-A English Brown Ale, Mild

Min OG: 1.030 Max OG: 1.038
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 25
Min Clr: 12 Max Clr: 25 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.25
Anticipated OG: 1.033 Plato: 8.36
Anticipated SRM: 18.2
Anticipated IBU: 15.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
34.5 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
34.5 2.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
13.8 1.00 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
6.9 0.50 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18
6.9 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.4 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.70 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.30 13.5 60 min.
0.70 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.30 2.2 5 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 7.25
Water Qts: 10.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.38 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 156 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.08 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

i used my pots and bag method, which was pretty easy with only 7.25 lbs of grain. hit my usual 70% right on the nose with an OG of 1.033.

mash-in was a little fun in my kitchen...missed it at 162°F, added water to 154°F, then heated back to 156°F. stupid electric stove.

tastes very light, of course...the chocolate seems masked a bit, but the fuggle came through nicely. IBUs are a tad lower than stated, i did a partial boil (5 gal) and topped off with bottled water. oh, and this is the first time i've used WLP002 for anything but my blood ale.

I'll be fermenting this in my foam cabinet with ice packs. cool ferment (low 60s) with lots of shaking the first few days, then bring it up to room temp the last two days (5 day ferment.)

current plan is then to rack to a keg for a couple days of cold conditioning and carbonation. i don't think i will filter, but i'll dump the crap and taste it every day until ship time.

this is fun, most my beers have been pretty lazy lately. nice to have a project.

Cheers!
:mug:

It seems as though we are always waiting for death. ;)

According to my records, everyone has gotten this brewed and we should start to see some beers at our doorsteps today or Monday.

It's true. The pink - not so flattering for us dudes.

Package rcvd from BM, thanks dude! :D

I will start sampling in the morning - fo rnow... on to more beer...b een drinking tequila. always a bad sign. :drunk:

My beer will be arriving to both recipients on Monday.

EXCELLENT

MrBurns.jpg

Mmmm... opening up the Huskers' game in Ames, and I took a moment to open my own game of Drink The Beer.

BM's Centennial Blonde:
- Aroma is heavenly! Floral and somewhat herbal, but a little sweet and honey-y too. Very inviting, even when cold.
- Color is pale straw, and crystal freakin' clear. BEAUTIFUL beer.
- Flavor is hoppier than I expected! I love it! For the "gateway" beer that everyone recommends to new brewers, I was not expecting so much hop presence! I really love the flavor of this though, it's got little notes of honey and malt overtone, but does not dominate. It tastes cleaner than most commercial blondes, and there's something about the water profile that makes this positively sparkle.
Very very nice. I could drink this all day long.

I'm just putting these here for now. We can always move them if we break everything out into individual threads.

BM's Sterling Gold:
- Aroma is very intriguing! Almost... herbal? Peppery with a note of minty? Almost like a soft herbal liqueur, or even a gruit aroma.
- Color is phenomenal - a nice light copper, and crystal clear.
- Flavor is peppery and soft, with just a little hint of citrus. Still picking up a very herbal undertone. I've never used these Sterling hops before, but if this is indicative of their profile, I like it.

BM's 10der & Mild:
- Aroma is downright inviting. I'm getting loads of nutty mocha chocolate coffee, even a tiny hint of licorice.
- Color is lighter than mine came out, a nice .. I'll call it dark chestnut? I'm not any good at naming shades of brown. :p Carb is on the lower end of the style, but appropriate. Clarity is very good.
- Flavor is nice - warm and biscuity, with a bit of chocolate, and a bit of, maybe, malted milk taste? Finishes somewhat dry, which is fine, and is pretty quenching. Doesn't taste overpowering or strong at all, very balanced, and hop presence is very minimal. Overall very nice. :)

I hope it's okay that I'm going for fairly short tasting notes. I just don't want to talk out of my arse too badly as Mild is a style that I'm still new too... so I'm trying to keep it brief, but still succinct and accurate.

Mmmm... opening up the Huskers' game in Ames, and I took a moment to open my own game of Drink The Beer.

BM's Centennial Blonde:
- Aroma is heavenly! Floral and somewhat herbal, but a little sweet and honey-y too. Very inviting, even when cold.
- Color is pale straw, and crystal freakin' clear. BEAUTIFUL beer.
- Flavor is hoppier than I expected! I love it! For the "gateway" beer that everyone recommends to new brewers, I was not expecting so much hop presence! I really love the flavor of this though, it's got little notes of honey and malt overtone, but does not dominate. It tastes cleaner than most commercial blondes, and there's something about the water profile that makes this positively sparkle.
Very very nice. I could drink this all day long.
Thanks Chriso.

Yeah...that batch of Centennial Blonde I dry hopped each keg with 1 ounce of Centennial and (I think) a 1/2 ounce of Amarillo.

I just wanted a little more hop-goodness in this go-around of CB.

Niquejim’s Mild:​

Aroma: Nice and slightly roasty. The smell of “freshness” was in this beer. Leaning towards the nutty aroma more than fruity.

Appearance: Very clear…almost crystal. Color was sort of a penny copper brown. No real ruby hues…mostly copper. Good creamy head and sufficient carbonation with an aggressive pour.

Flavor: Crisper and lighter than the color might suggest. Clean. No off flavors at all. Well balanced. Some slight nutty tones and a pale chocolate. Finishes dry and clean. No residual sweetness. This beer attenuated very well. Very tasty indeed. A good example of a session beer. Not filling at all. Very little “buzz factor” which was good since this was a Saturday lunchtime tasting session. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than I’m accustomed to for a brown mild…but good. Just the right carbonation (I like them on the low side).

Overall: A good example of a mild. I enjoyed it very much. Very drinkable and well brewed (no flaws). A very tasty beer with little to know alcohol effects.

Anything I’d Change: Mash it higher…say around 159 for 45 minutes to preserve some sugars and “rich up” the flavor/mouthfeel.

Well done.

Niquejim’s Mild:​

Aroma: Nice and slightly roasty. The smell of “freshness” was in this beer. Leaning towards the nutty aroma more than fruity.

Appearance: Very clear…almost crystal. Color was sort of a penny copper brown. No real ruby hues…mostly copper. Good creamy head and sufficient carbonation with an aggressive pour.

Flavor: Crisper and lighter than the color might suggest. Clean. No off flavors at all. Well balanced. Some slight nutty tones and a pale chocolate. Finishes dry and clean. No residual sweetness. This beer attenuated very well. Very tasty indeed. A good example of a session beer. Not filling at all. Very little “buzz factor” which was good since this was a Saturday lunchtime tasting session. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than I’m accustomed to for a brown mild…but good. Just the right carbonation (I like them on the low side).

Overall: A good example of a mild. I enjoyed it very much. Very drinkable and well brewed (no flaws). A very tasty beer with little to know alcohol effects.

Anything I’d Change: Mash it higher…say around 159 for 45 minutes to preserve some sugars and “rich up” the flavor/mouthfeel.

Well done.

Thank you
I was worried with doing the partigyle that I might end up too thin. It's a little thinner than I wanted, but getting 5 gallons of this for 1.5lbs of grain on top of my Barleywine grain is not bad:rockin: Could be the rye and the 135L that's in there giving that nutty taste

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the Fat owl.
This is the first time I've keghopped it and the keg only lasted 10 days:(

Byaa!-Muncher's Outer Limits IPA:

- Smells pungently citrusy, and a bit grassy - of the fresh-cut variety. Inviting, just like an IPA should smell. You can pick out some breads and biscuits behind the hops, but not more than a faint presence.

- I'd call this a brilliant ruby with hints of copper, and very, very clear, just like your other beers. Clear enough that it can be used as a magnifying loupe to see my individual pixels on my LCD monitor. Poured with a 1/4" to 1/2" head that stuck around for a minute or so.

- Seltzery mouthfeel, kind of nice, but strange since the head on pour didn't indicate a huge carb level. But nice, like I said... kind of a champagne-y like sensation from the bubbles. Not as hoppy as I had expected - maybe that's just a sign my tongue is starting to strip from the increasingly hoppy beers I've been starting to favor. It starts with this great balanced bitterness - a packs a bit of a punch, but not a K.O. in one drink. The finish is superb, with very soft mingling of a couple varieties of hops, some grassy notes, some grapefruit notes, some pine notes... It's almost hard to describe, because the finishing flavor hops really do mingle so well that you can't seperate one from the other.

- This is a really good example of an American IPA that still knows what it is - just that, an IPA and not a enamel-stripping IIPA. I feel like that distinction has been lost recently in the beer world, and it's nice seeing an IPA that is patently strong, but not overblown or overdesigned.

And all this coming from a guy who is usually very hesitant of IPAs. Cheers, BM. Thanks for sharing another great one. You and I will have to swap beers more frequently - you brew some really stellar stuff, man. One of these days I'm gonna find time to do another Dryhop Honey Wheat so I can share some of the really fresh stuff with ya.

Well, I think I mentioned earlier than UPS called me and told me one of the bottles broke and they are sending back the two unbroken ones.

Now, my first thought was, "Why not just send it on to Professor Frink instead of returning it all the way to me", but no, they didn't do that. So, it finally made it back to me today in a different box, and missing one more bottle! They sent back one 22 ounce bottle, after telling me on Thursday that they were sending back TWO. I hope some guy in brown liked the mild. It was an Arrogant Bastard clone that was also missing- maybe that was the broken one?

Anyway, Professor, I'll sanitize some bottles and fill and send out on Wednesday morning. Damn UPS. I'll try to dig up something special to make it up to you, too.

olllllo, all have arrived safely.

They're resting comfortably in the fridge right now. Love the labels. And, thanks for the coyote magnet. It's on my keezer downstairs.

Tonight they will make the ultimate sacrifice. I'll give them about 15-20 minutes out of the fridge to warm a bit...a nice aggressive pour...and down the hatch.

Plus...it's "Biggest Loser" night so my evening is all laid out. :D

Here's my recipe, which is essentially Orfy's marginally tweeked.

[SIZE=+2]Mild[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]11-A Mild[/SIZE]

Size: 11.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 110.59 kcal per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.034 (1.030 - 1.038)
|===============#================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.008 (1.008 - 1.013)
|=========#======================|
Color: 24.22 (12.0 - 25.0)
|=======================#========|
Alcohol: 3.28% (2.8% - 4.5%)
|============#===================|
Bitterness: 17.9 (10.0 - 25.0)
|================#===============|
[SIZE=+1]Ingredients:[/SIZE]
10.5 lb Maris Otter Pale
2.2 lb Caramel Malt 60L
14.0 oz Chocolate Malt
10.5 oz Black Malt
1.91 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
0.95 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 ea Fermentis S-04

Mashed 155. Wanted 158.

Niquejim

Sampled @ 58 F

Appearance: Turbid dark honey color with slight head; good carbonation. Lighter in color than most I have seen but nothing out of style

Aroma: Light malt tones. Swirling it around, I get a slight fruityness. No Hop aroma. No diacetyl. To style, but my preference would be more aroma. Noting that this is a parti-gyle, so my criticism in this area should be taken with a grain of salt.

Flavor: Well it's mild. :). This is more in the style that I had in London. Refreshing and crispy clean. Light and balanced. Just a touch of malt I actually got called away for awhile and came back to a much warmer 1/4 glass and I got much more flavor. However, at that temperature I also got a somewhat mineral or metallic taste. Unfortunately, I'll have to bounce that off your second bottle another time.

Mouthfeel: Very light body. Appropriate carbonation for the style.

Overall: This is more in keeping with the lighter milds and that are more common in London and Southern England. By contrast the one I made is much heavier. It really goes to show the range on this style. I could drink alot of these and having yours, I believe I would prefer it to the standard american blonds so prevalent in the summer.

GreenwoodRover.

Sampled @ 56 F

Appearance: Medium brown with ruby; a bit hazy. Subtle head. All within style.

Aroma: Getting dominant chocolate; sweetness. Slight hop aroma. Pleasant. No diacetyl. To style.

Flavor: Rich maltiness and chocolate with an implied sweetness. Still finishes dry. This is really well balanced. I'd be interested in just a touch more hop, but this is more of a curiosity.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Appropriate carbonation. With the rich flavor I am getting, I really long for a bit more body. (I have the same problem mine.)

Overall: I can already appreciate the difference using the Carafa III. Really mitigates the bitterness that I have in mine. I'm betting you mashed lower like I did (155) and I hope you try this again at 158 or 9. Really well done with no detectable flaws.

Based on the beer I made and the two that I have sample, I can unequivocally declare this a success! Mine was eminently drinkable on day 9 and bottled on day 10.

Based on the beer I made and the two that I have sample, I can unequivocally declare this a success! Mine was eminently drinkable on day 9 and bottled on day 10.

So would you be willing to brew it again in 6 months...and try one that is 9 days old to one that is 6 months old?
I know the answer...so I guess that is a rhetorical question....but what do you suspect the results of such a tasting would be?

Chad's Kitchen Staff Mild II

Drank this while watching "Die Hippie, Die" on south park studios...

Aroma: Bready, woody, a bit of fruit (may be off...i have a pour sense of smell :D)

Appearance: Pours with a small lace head. Rich dark appearance..ruby orange shows in the light. Slight notice of lace on the top all the way to the end.

Flavor: Malty, dextrinous (is that a word? starch?), pleasant fruity flavors likeable to plums, maybe? slight spicy bite from the yeast, very nice.

Mouthfeel: Full, perfect amount of crystal to mask the low alcohol...tastes very full. roasted flavors come through, but are pleasant, nothing astrigent. nice low level of carbonation.

Overall: I'm not a big fan of roasted flavor in a mild, but you made it very smooth and balanced with this one. I really enjoyed this beer. I'm going to have to share a bit of the next one with someone that will appreciate it.

I don't know how you got that dextrin flavor in there, mashing so low (154°F, is that correct?) without carapils. must be the ashburne? may have to try that...what do you find is the major flavor it contributes?

might have to check out that Northwest Ale yeast, too.

great mild IMO. and that was just the first pour. i have another full glass!

Niquejim

Sampled @ 58 F

Appearance: Turbid dark honey color with slight head; good carbonation. Lighter in color than most I have seen but nothing out of style

Aroma: Light malt tones. Swirling it around, I get a slight fruityness. No Hop aroma. No diacetyl. To style, but my preference would be more aroma. Noting that this is a parti-gyle, so my criticism in this area should be taken with a grain of salt.

Flavor: Well it's mild. :). This is more in the style that I had in London. Refreshing and crispy clean. Light and balanced. Just a touch of malt I actually got called away for awhile and came back to a much warmer 1/4 glass and I got much more flavor. However, at that temperature I also got a somewhat mineral or metallic taste. Unfortunately, I'll have to bounce that off your second bottle another time.

Mouthfeel: Very light body. Appropriate carbonation for the style.

Overall: This is more in keeping with the lighter milds and that are more common in London and Southern England. By contrast the one I made is much heavier. It really goes to show the range on this style. I could drink alot of these and having yours, I believe I would prefer it to the standard american blonds so prevalent in the summer.

I could(and have) consumed quite a few of these this week and I agree it is a good summer drink although I was surprised myself by the lack of hop aroma.
I used
1oz Willamettes 60
.33oz Fuggles 20
.33oz Fuggles 5
.33oz Fuggles 0

olllllo- The bottles you recieved from me were from Anchor (i believe their liberty ale to be exact).
Things i would change for next time would be to definately mash higher. I tried to hit 157, but I didn't get me temps right so it settled at 154. I would also add gelatin finings, with the forc carbing and constant sampling, i don't think the crash cool in the keg ever had enough alnoe time to do it's thing.

I've been stuffy lately, so my sniffer is no good, I'm hoping to be feeling better this weekend so I can sample some of the goods and write my reviews. Last weekend I did get a chance to sample BM additional goodies he include in the swap and the reviews will follow shortly.

BierMuncher’s Sterling Gold (Black Pepper Beer)
Appearance
Crystal Clear, with a nice bubble show emanating from the base of the glass. Gold in color. Small head that dissipated to a nice ring around the glass and faintly laced through out.
Aroma
My sniffer was stuffy, but I just had to try these. Pleasant with some mild citrusy (lemon?) notes. Not a very pronounced aroma, I would venture to say delicate (I didn’t pick up any of the spice) but maybe it’s the stuffy nose.
Flavor
First sip was reminiscent of a blonde. The second sip immediately made me think of wintergreen mint. As I progressed the flavor was less minty and more spicy in a good way. The beer left a brief tingle on my lips after each sip.
Mouthfeel
Very light and crisp. The carbonation helped accentuate the spiciness of the rye and black pepper. Reminiscent of a European lager.
Overall
Good session type drinker, but for me not a year rounder, the rye and spice for me lend themselves to more of a late summer early autumn seasonality. My wife asked why my beers aren’t as clear. I’m undecided if I would want to dial back the black pepper, it might stress might be too spicy for some, but since it’s a black pepper beer drinkers should be aware of what they are consuming and not be sissies about it. I would be interested in how this ages, but as a session type I’m sure the kegs go fast.

BierMuncher’s Outer Limits IPA
Appearance
Looks Great in the glass. Nice light coppery color with a ½” head, perfectly carbonated. Laced all the way though.
Aroma
Bold hop aroma with citrus and grassy tones, exactly as to be expected in an IPA.
Flavor
Hops are upfront with just enough malt in the background to round it out. Bitterness was smoother than expected with the big aroma and hop taste. Quenching.
Mouthfeel
To style. I can’t elaborate because I’ve lost that portion of my notes.
Overall
For me an excellent example of an IPA. I haven’t brewed one yet but when I do it will be this one. I have not seen the recipe under BM’s drop down so hopefully this will prompt him to post it. It has all the hop flavor and aroma I love from Avery’s IPA with the color and mouth feel that I like in the Goose Island IPA.

BierMuncher’s Centennial Blonde (Dry Hopped)
Again I lost my notes from tasting it and I apologize, but I do remember thinking that this is an excellent next step beer for those wanting to take a person from BMC- Mirco – to homebrews and IPA type stuff. Great aroma and hope presence without it being too overdone. You could really tell this dryhopped version was built on a great base beer.

Hopefully I'll get a change to review the milds later this week if my cold goes away.

Prof. Frink

Brews received... Muchas Gracias.

Tasting soon as I get a "proper" moment to fully appreciate all the subtleties...

:D

Oy, it's been a nutty week. Bottling tonight, shipping tomorrow. If it's any consolation to both Chad and Zymurgrafi, I haven't yet sampled what I've received in the swap!

Chad's Kitchen Staff Mild II

Drank this while watching "Die Hippie, Die" on south park studios...

Aroma: Bready, woody, a bit of fruit (may be off...i have a pour sense of smell :D)

Appearance: Pours with a small lace head. Rich dark appearance..ruby orange shows in the light. Slight notice of lace on the top all the way to the end.

Flavor: Malty, dextrinous (is that a word? starch?), pleasant fruity flavors likeable to plums, maybe? slight spicy bite from the yeast, very nice.

Mouthfeel: Full, perfect amount of crystal to mask the low alcohol...tastes very full. roasted flavors come through, but are pleasant, nothing astrigent. nice low level of carbonation.

Overall: I'm not a big fan of roasted flavor in a mild, but you made it very smooth and balanced with this one. I really enjoyed this beer. I'm going to have to share a bit of the next one with someone that will appreciate it.

Thanks! I was afraid my over-enthusiastic carbonation (and subsequent desperate attempts to bleed it back down) would mask the roasted and nutty flavors. I think it still has a little carbonic bite (or possible yeast "bite" from over pitching). I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Chad

I don't know how you got that dextrin flavor in there, mashing so low (154°F, is that correct?) without carapils. must be the ashburne? may have to try that...what do you find is the major flavor it contributes?

might have to check out that Northwest Ale yeast, too.

great mild IMO. and that was just the first pour. i have another full glass!

I did mash at 154º. I think next time I might bump it up to 156º for a little more body. It seems just a bit thin to me. The Ashburne Mild malt is pretty great. This is the first time I've used it but I'm definitely getting more. According to Breiss:
DP 65. 2-Row diastatic malt that delivers sweeter, malty flavor. Very well suited for mild ale styles that benefit from additional color and sweet, malty flavor.
It's almost like a light Munich but better suited to English styles. Next time I make Kitchen Staff Mild I may flip the proportions and go with 4lbs of Ashburne Mild and 3lbs of Marris Otter just to see what happens.

The Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast is one of my favorites. I use it in my Apex Amber (which is really John Palmer's amber recipe from "How to Brew") and my Carolina Gales best bitter. Its a good sub for 1968 London ESB, with some of that English fruitiness and yeast character. Good stuff.

Chad

...However, at that temperature I also got a somewhat mineral or metallic taste. ..

I actually picked up on this last night with the second bottle. Nothing to interfere with downing the glass. But a slight "penny" after taste. Might have been some over-sparge effect since this was a party-gyle batch. Still, a good beer absent that small aspect.

Latest posts

Back