Priming with AJC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourSeasonAngler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cider fermenting now that is going to be bottle conditioned shooting for 2.7(ish) volumes of CO2.

Simple recipe:
3 gallons of fresh unpasteurized orchard cider
6 cans of AJC
2 gallons of Spring water
2 lbs of light brown sugar

On Saturday I mixed the above in a 6.5 gallon carboy, added 1/2 campden tablet, and 3 teaspoons of pectic enzyme. 15 hours later I added 1 packet of Fermentis WB/06 (Wheat Ale dry yeast), 3 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and oxygenated with pure O2 for 2 minutes. OG reading corrected @ 1.058. 2 hours later I had airlock activity and a small krausen.

Now, I'm shooting for a semi-sweet good apple-flavored, sparkling cider (hence the WB/06). I am familiar with Apfelwein, and would like this to be something different, close to 6% ABV, definite sweetness there, but not syrupy sweet.

If I need to backsweeten with Splenda or Stevia I'm okay with that, but I'd rather shoot for semi-sweet since I'm not really a fan of sweet drinks. However, the dryness of Apfelwein is not my favorite either.

My real question is whether there is a flavor difference in the final product if I use AJC to prime (realizing I'll need to raise the FG about 3 points) vs. dextrose or sucrose?

Anyone with ale yeast cider experience and using AJC/cider/juice to prime?

This has been discussed at length in a couple of threads. I know the "Man I love apfelwein" thread had quite a bit of info on this subject, but you'll have to find it, it's a monster thread.
Regards, GF.

Back