Priming sugar to kick up the ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasta

Reaction score
I have two questions, before you tonight. Question number one is since I have bags of priming sugar piling up here can priming sugar be used during the end of the boil to help kick the ABV up a notch. Is this ok, or would this not be advisable?

I recently purchased a couple ABS budget kits with the 1% ABV boost option they offer. The first one I'm going to brew is their budget Pale Ale. The sugar boost they supplied to bump up the ABV looks just like priming sugar. Does anyone know Austin Brewing Supplies, their budget kits, and what their ABV booster consists of. Also, they didn't specify in the instructions when this booster sugar addition should be added. Can anyone offer up some pointers on this topic, any help is appreciated.

You can use corn sugar (priming sugar), table sugar or my favorite...Brown sugar
and they will all boost abv and dry out your brew.Also, molasses or honey if you want a little residual sweetness.

When would it be best added to the boil? With the LME or at the end of the boil?

Dry out meaning finish with a lower gravity. And yes, it wouldn't be a bad thing for a pale ale. A lb or so of sugar is probably better suited for an ipa though

Latest posts

Back