Calculating abv when chapatalizing wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle36

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I wasn’t able to find a thread on this topic but I am currently fermenting a wine and I wanted it to bump up the abv so I chapatalized (chapatalised I’m not sure) it with 2lbs of sugar 4 days into the fermentation and pitched more yeast. My starting gravity was 1.090, it had dropped to 1.040 before adding the sugar, and was bumped up to 1.058 before pitching more ec 1118. My question is how do I calculate the abv for this wine? Thanks for any help!

Hi everyone,
I wasn’t able to find a thread on this topic but I am currently fermenting a wine and I wanted it to bump up the abv so I chapatalized (chapatalised I’m not sure) it with 2lbs of sugar 4 days into the fermentation and pitched more yeast. My starting gravity was 1.090, it had dropped to 1.040 before adding the sugar, and was bumped up to 1.058 before pitching more ec 1118. My question is how do I calculate the abv for this wine? Thanks for any help!
It all depends in the amount of liquid. How much wine is it?

Back