Priming for different bottle sizes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agreenmartian

Reaction score
I'm planning on splitting most of my Punkin Ale clone into one case of 1L flip tops and the remainder in standard 12oz bottles. I know that higher volume needs less priming sugar, i.e. a 5 Gal keg vs 12 oz bottles.
Will there be an appreciable difference in carbonation if I prime the same amount in both size bottles, or should I prime and bottle the 1L and then prime and bottle the leftovers into 12oz with a slightly higher proportion of sugar?
:confused:

Most people add the priming sugar to the entire batch of beer at once (say 4 ounces to 5 gallons). Usually by dissolving the sugar in boiling water and adding it and the beer to a bottling bucket. The beer is mixed with the sugar solution, usually in the process of siphoning the beer into the bucket, and then dispensed from the bottling bucket to the individual bottles. With this approach you do not need to be concerned with the size of the bottles you put the beer into.

There will be a noticeable difference if you use the same amount of priming sugar in 33 ounces and in 12oz. If you don't have a bottling bucket, now might be the time to get one as it solves the issue of multiple bottle sizes.

If not, here is one of many similar calculators that should help you determine how much priming sugar to use.

I have a bottling bucket, I was actually wondering if I needed to do two rounds of bottling. One with a lower proportion of sugar for the 1L, and one slightly higher for the 12oz so the 1L bottles aren't more carbonated than the 12oz. But if one proportion of sugar will work fine for both then I'll just do one round of priming/bottling.

Yep, just prime the whole batch once and then bottle it. Then it doesn't matter what size bottles you use.

Cheers.

You just prime the whole batch and fill your bottles. Just be aware that it tends to take LONGER for larger bottles to carb and condition in relation to 12 ouncers. It may take a week or two MORE for the bigger bottles to come up to snuff.

Back