Porter/stout HOPS help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjbalough

Reaction score
Ok so here is what I have for grains & extract for a cabinet cleaning porter or stout -

3.3 lbs breiss porter lme ( 81% base/victory 8%/chocolate 4%/ crystal 80 5%)
3.3 lb mutons light maris otter lme
1 lb Mouton's wheat DME

Grains - already mixed and crushed -
.5 lbs crystal 120
.5 lbs 2 row pale
4 oz debittered black
4 oz chocolate

If I do this as a porter or stout what should I do for hops? Should I add any other specialty grains? I also have:

4-5 oz crystal 40
8 oz carapils.

And can buy whatever else when I get the hops. Thinking 25 - 35 IBU?? But what do I know -- I like black butte porter and that is 30ish....should I just use the hop schedule from a clone for that?

If those are ALL of the grains you have then I'd say just throw them in and be done with them. The C40 should be negligible and the Cpils will kick up the body a bunch plus the foam retention.

As for hops, what do you have? I like Bullion as a bittering and even mid-boil addition. That's about where I leave it.

I have .5 oz cascade and 1 oz Willamette... I'll find a use for these soon enough if I get a better reccomendation. Yeast - I am leaning towards wyeast1968 (although I have 04, 05, 06, and nottingham on hand) unless I am advised to try another

OK - 3 weeks in the ferment or my other batch using these grains ( 6.6 lbs porter lme + .5 cry 120, .5 2-row, 4 oz black, 4 oz chocolate - hopped to 50 IBU) tastes quite rasin like. Not sure I like that - looking for more chocolate & coffee.... Should I not use the other half of the mixed grains - start fresh without the 120?....or is that just a flavor in green stout/porter?

OK - 3 weeks in the ferment or my other batch using these grains ( 6.6 lbs porter lme + .5 cry 120, .5 2-row, 4 oz black, 4 oz chocolate - hopped to 50 IBU) tastes quite rasin like. Not sure I like that - looking for more chocolate & coffee.... Should I not use the other half of the mixed grains - start fresh without the 120?....or is that just a flavor in green stout/porter?

Toffee/raisin comes from the 120L. It's quite known for that.

In order to make a porter, you need some dark grains, like brown malt (THE malt in brown porter) or some roasty grains like chocolate malt. 4 oz won't cut it.

For future reference, Magnum is THE bittering hops for beer where hop flavor is unimportant but bittering is still needed for balance...like Stouts and Porters.

The last Porter I made, had 1 oz Centennial for bittering, 1/2 oz Willamette at 15 minutes, 1/2 oz Willamette at 5 minutes..

The last Stout I made (an Oatmeal Stout) had only 1 oz of Horizon for bittering.

I like to use Muntons Premium Gold dry yeast for my english style beers (Stouts, Porters, Irish Ales).

Toffee/raisin comes from the 120L. It's quite known for that.

In order to make a porter, you need some dark grains, like brown malt (THE malt in brown porter) or some roasty grains like chocolate malt. 4 oz won't cut it.

Thanks! 1) Would I be good to add some cold brewed coffee to that batch when I bottle it in the next week or so?.....2) for batch #2 should I just add more chocolate malt & maybe some other dark grains (such as black patent, debittered black, roasted barley...) or am I better to toss the pre mixed grains and get close to an established recipe here? Batch # 1 was a robust porter kit (label peelers) that I dialed back using 2 of 3 cans of porter lme, half the grains, and half the hops....

Latest posts

Back