Plate chillers...therminator worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

403Brewer

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a plate chiller and I'm wondering if the Blichmann is worth the premium over other brands that all seem to be about $50-$100 cheaper. If there is an alternate model what would you recommend?

+1 on Duda Diesel.

Take a good look at the port configuration, and make sure to order the type that fits your setup.

As an early Duda adopter, I bought the one with 1/2" male nipples on all four ports. First I used barbs, then later it was easy to convert them all to 1/2" camlocks. That was the easiest and best way to isolate the plate chiller for cleaning, and storing.

Now if you use a garden hose, think about how you want to connect that to the water side.

Agreed. I got the one that came with the 3/4" hose connection... I'm really thinking I should have gone with the MPT so I could have fashioned a QD for the hose as well.

Other than that.. zero complaints.

Exactly. The configuration with hose thread nipples on the water side seem to be the common default, I see a lot of pictures posted with those. But they are quite inflexible if you want to change that later.

Whether you need 30 or 40 plates depends on the brew size and speed at which you can or want to chill. To get the first 80-some degrees down, it doesn't seem to make much difference, unless you go one-pass into your fermentor and throttle the output.

Back