Pitched Yeast at High Temp - Off flavours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number99

Reaction score
Hi, I recently made my first Stout kit ( Coopers Selection Irish Stout ). The recipe said to pitch yeast at a range of 21c-27c(69-80f) and if it's a cold day then pitch at the high end. Well it was cold so I pitched at 25c (77f). Well the next day my Air lock was going ballistic. This is my 6th brew and I've never seen it bubbling so rapidly. Day 2 was bubbling every minute or so and continued like that for another few days then stopped. Its still sitting in the primary (2 weeks now)
As I say this is my first stout and the first time I have'nt used dextrose, used a dark Malt Extract instead.
Does this sound normal or am I in for a bad Brew?

Cheers

Sounds fairly normal to me. You pitched within the recommended range. I have had lots of batches start off frantically without issue. Some even the blowoff had to be watched over the first 12-24 hours. As long as the fermenter was kept within the range you should have no issues.

Please read up on temperature control during fermentation. Usually fermenting toward the lower end of the yeast temp range gives cleaner beer, fewer byproducts and less solvent alcohols. 25C is quite high for an ale yeast, regardless of manufacturers' recommendations. 21C would be about the highest I'd go.

Added:
Toward the end of the fermentation, when things have slowed down significantly, you can bring the temps up a bit, to help with conditioning.

I stick my buckets in a cooler with cold water and add frozen bottles to keep the temp down where I want it to be. If it's cold I use an aquarium heater in that water.

Thanks Guys, will bottle and hope for the best. Wont be pitching at that temp again

Back