Piece of Equipment that wasn't originally meant for Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bken620

Reaction score
Title says it all, as homebrewer's we're all big into repurposing equipment used for other things, ie old corny kegs, chest freezers, etc.

One thing that I recently purchased and have been using a ton is a Roundup Tank Sprayer. I put some star san in there, fill it up with a gallon of water and I'm good to sanitize anything:

841688002401.jpg

So other than the usual, what have you guys repurposed to use in your brewery?

This one time I put some gain in a paint strainer bag and put that in a cooler of hot water.

I like using my crock pot to mash small batch.

Colander, paint strainer bags, empty milk jugs, Home Depot buckets, ice tea jugs, empty 1 gal vinegar bottles, tin foil, rubber bands, kitchen strainers, tea kettles, water cooler bottles. If we had a thread like this for rogue ingredients I would be even worse

The false bottom in my HLT is a Chinese colander. I've seen pizza pans used for this as well. Home brewers will find a way to use just about anything to make beer.

My mash tun used to keep beer cold. Now it keeps mash hot. Not that unusual but funny if you think about it.

Corona style mill - originally a corn grinder
Copper tubing for an IC - originally plumbing supply line.
Drill to run the corona mill
Mini fridge, plywood, 2x4s insulation foam for my fermentation chamber.
Chest freezer for my other fermentation chamber.
Refrigerator for my kegerator
Piece of tubing from an air gun extension to use as a wine degasser
colander
Paint strainer bags.
clamp to hold the paint strainer bag in the BK
Buckets with Gamma lids
Lock and lock storage boxes
Food saver for hops ? somewhat off usual use.
A cut off pants leg from the bottom of my corona mill to the bucket to control dust.
Pressure cooker for canning starter wort
Turkey fryer for brewing
Water heater supply line for mash tun braid
Drink cooler mash tun
Sprayer turned into a beer line cleaner. Idea in a thread here on HBT
Piece of an oak tree limb turned into a mash paddle.
Computer hard drive and fan for a stirplate
Cigar box for the stirplate.
Misc. hardware etc.

I am sure there are others in my collection.

Heck, Im trying to come up with something that I Use that WAS meant to brew with...drawing a blank!

I guess the question should have been, what do you use that was actually meant for brewing...haha

Back