PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like what I hear about the PicoBrew, but using BIAB I have little to clean up. I dump the grain from the bag during the boil, rinse off the bag., and hang it up to dry.
The after brew cleaning consists of cleaning the pot and my immersion chiller.
Cleanup time is 20-30 minutes I reckon.

I can see the huge attraction for the PicoBrew if you have a big complex rig that takes 2 hours to clean. That alone would make me want to get the PicoBrew.

I like the idea of the ease of making small experimental batches.

I like the idea of the ease of making small experimental batches.

And no buying BeerSmith or other recipe crafters. That's a perk, too. All my batches are graphed out -- from mash to boil -- and I see exactly the temperatures and heating/cooling graphs. Everything is web-based -- and always online -- so I can brew in the basement and sit upstairs and monitor or use my iPhone. I can add notes as I sample the results and keg and taste. (I've got a smoker with a fan from BBQGuru that does the same thing -- connects to wifi, shows you the temperatures, allows you to adjust temps, and then monitors the brisket or pork shoulder temps smoke from your browser. Sounds crazy until you start using and you wonder how you lived without it. :))

If I want to brew the same Pico batch again, I just buy the same ingredients and push a button -- and I get the same beer.

I've brewed Dennys Vanilla Imperial Porter three times now, and it's been exactly the same each time. That, too, is a little freaky. I'm not used to the repeatability aspect of homebrewing. I suspect the longer I have the Pico, the more I'll appreciate that.

Just got my picobrew this afternoon. Running the cleaning cycle first thing because I would never want to run beer through something that smelled like that much plastic and neoprene.

The PicoBrew Zymatic looks awesome. I hope it provides it's owners with years of effortless beer at the touch of a button!

At the point I would consider buying a PicoBrew, I would just spend my money on craft beer.

At the point I would consider buying home brewing equipment (burner, nice pot, kegging equipment, fermentation chamber, kegerator, etc , I would just spend my money on craft beer.

Home brewing is a hobby. Hobbies typically cost money, and for some, the money is secondary to the enjoyment from experimenting. I personally think some of these systems are too expensive, but I'd never tell someone not to buy them.

At the point I would consider buying home brewing equipment (burner, nice pot, kegging equipment, fermentation chamber, kegerator, etc , I would just spend my money on craft beer.

Home brewing is a hobby. Hobbies typically cost money, and for some, the money is secondary to the enjoyment from experimenting. I personally think some of these systems are too expensive, but I'd never tell someone not to buy them.

The PicoBrew Zymatic looks awesome. I hope it provides it's owners with years of effortless beer at the touch of a button!

I've created a new Facebook group for Picobrewers. Picobrewers is the name. I hope I'm allowed to post this here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1606598276285827/

My goal is to create a more active users group for the Zymatic where instant feedback and users reviews can be posted.

I'd love to see recipe evaluations, testing, beer reviews, tips, tricks, photos of your brew session, and any fun thing that can be had with topic on the Picobrew Zymatic.

It's a closed group, but just request permission to join and we'll build up a community.

Keep posting on this message board too.

Thanks

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Picobrew. I brew 2.5 gallon batches so the size is perfect for me. I might even brew 1.5 gallon batches because I would like to brew a large variety of styles.

What are the downsides? I know there is not an integrated chiller. What other ( if any ) changes would you like to see on the unit?

I don't want to criticize I'm just looking for real feedback before I make the plunge.
Thanks in advance!

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Picobrew. I brew 2.5 gallon batches so the size is perfect for me. I might even brew 1.5 gallon batches because I would like to brew a large variety of styles.

What are the downsides? I know there is not an integrated chiller. What else ( if any ) do think you would change or would like to see on the unit?

I don't want to criticize I'm just looking for real feedback before I make the plunge.
Thanks in advance!

I'll say that the WIFI connection can be sort of spotty. (ended up setting up a repeater). I'd strongly suggest running the deep clean every go round rather than every 5 since there seems to be a fair number of nooks and crannies. I don't especially care for the recipe creator, it's not bad, but if you're used to something like Brewtarget/Beersmith/Promash, it can be mildly irritating (lacks complexity, no ability to add in new ingredients, etc).

All told I love mine, and it's a sight easier to use and clean when compared to my 10 gallon system, but there are little niggling issues for sure.

It looks like everyone who has bought one has loved it. That says a lot about the Picobrew.

OK, I'll be the first to admit it...BIG MISTAKE. After having probelms with the Second machine they sent me (after waiting over a year for the first one). I am no longer a fan. I have just emailed them and asked to return the machine for a refund. Totally not what I though it would be. I thought it would save time...didn't. I only used it 4 times. The first three the machine leaked everywhere and that was the one I returned. The replacement machine worked fine, except for powering down 3 times during my brew. I guess I'm tired of wasting materials. I know, I know....I had to try to see if it was going to be worth it. I hope that others that purchased this machine are happy with it. I haven't seen that many bad post.

OK, I'll be the first to admit it...BIG MISTAKE. After having probelms with the Second machine they sent me (after waiting over a year for the first one). I am no longer a fan. I have just emailed them and asked to return the machine for a refund. Totally not what I though it would be. I thought it would save time...didn't. I only used it 4 times. The first three the machine leaked everywhere and that was the one I returned. The replacement machine worked fine, except for powering down 3 times during my brew. I guess I'm tired of wasting materials. I know, I know....I had to try to see if it was going to be worth it. I hope that others that purchased this machine are happy with it. I haven't seen that many bad post.

Shame to hear the issues you went through. I have brewed three batches thus far and am very happy with the machine. Few hiccups here and there, but most of those have been my adjusting to brewing with this new setup. Sounds like you got two lemons. :(

Severum

Sixteen 3 Gallon brews Since January and loving it, will note there is some cracking around the duck valve and the connection between the mash bin and the adjunct compartment, a few other people in the Picobrew form have mentioned the stress cracks forming and they replaced them Quickly.

Ready to pull the trigger...this thread has been enormously helpful. Lots of great information.

As for ordering, best place to buy? AIH has the whole package, but reliant on drop-shipping and unknown (as far as I can tell) timeline. Amazon has what appears to be units directly from PicoBrew in stock, but you have to buy the keg separate?

Thoughts on getting the Zymatic now that we're mid-July?

I can't speak for the shipping times now, but I ordered my Pico from MoreBeer in April, and I received it (with a keg) within a week or so of ordering.

I've got 38 batches with it and love it -- absolutely no regrets.

Weird question, what's the exhaust like?

Are you all brewing indoors? How does it handle the heat and moisture of the boil off?

I can't speak for the shipping times now, but I ordered my Pico from MoreBeer in April, and I received it (with a keg) within a week or so of ordering.

I've got 38 batches with it and love it -- absolutely no regrets.

38 batches since April - wow, that's impressive!

I ordered in early June from AIH, was shipped directly from Picobrew in Seattle on the next business day. I had it one week from ordering. Plus I got the reward points and $50 in free ingredients at AIH. It came with a keg.

Very happy buying through them.

Are you all brewing indoors? How does it handle the heat and moisture of the boil off?

I am brewing in the garage. With the garage closed, it definitely heats things up a bit in there. I would imagine something similar indoors depending on the room layout and such.

Severum

I brew in my basement, which is always cool so the excess heat doesn't bother me. I don't really notice any significant condensation issues when using it (sometimes back to back) so I haven't bothered moving it under the hood for my 10 gallon system.

Given the fact that you aren't actually boiling anything, the amount of water being vaporized into the air should be greatly reduced.

I am 21 batches in on mine and I absolutely love it. I am having more fun brewing than I have in years.

Given the fact that you aren't actually boiling anything, the amount of water being vaporized into the air should be greatly reduced.

If you don't boil that how to the hops oils get isomerized, and how is DMS driven off?

If you don't boil that how to the hops oils get isomerized, and how is DMS driven off?

The PB boils at 207F. DMS is driven off and hops are isomerized, I assure you. In MN (800ft above sea level) boiling temp is 210F so don't get caught up with thinking 212F is boiling temp everywhere. They make beer in Colorado at an even lower boil temp. The boiling point of water in Denver is around 202F.

The PB boils at 207F. DMS is driven off and hops are isomerized, I assure you. In MN (800ft above sea level) boiling temp is 210F so don't get caught up with thinking 212F is boiling temp everywhere. They make beer in Colorado at an even lower boil temp. The boiling point of water in Denver is around 202F.

The majority of the US requires greater than 207° to boil. It is accurate to say that it doesn't boil the wort.

Everything else you've said is accurate, since DMS boils off below 100°, and isomerization begins around 170°...it's okay to note that it doesn't actually boil the wort.

Anyone use wet hops in the zymatic? I have a big crop of cascades I'd love to use in a pale ale, but was wondering if the amount was limiting in the containers.

The advanced recipe control program editor is kind of a pain. I just want to do a simple beta alpha rest and it is pretty screwy. Dough in temps are defaulting to 102 for 20 minutes. Is that what it does if you don't edit the mash steps regularly? Is that just to thoroughly wet the grains and prevent dough balls or is it necessary to only go to 102 or can I bump it up to the first step?

Anyone? Not sure that helps me because then it is $1000 to brew beer and $1000 to cook fish/steak. Both price tags a bit steep.

That's really just a silly way to look at it. This hobby isn't always about saving money. I've spent over $3000 for my electric brewery and don't look at it like a $3000 a beer.

I've spent over $1000 on kegs and draft, that's not $1000 beer either.

I agree that the Zymatic is too expensive, but it's still an awesome product.

Anyone use wet hops in the zymatic? I have a big crop of cascades I'd love to use in a pale ale, but was wondering if the amount was limiting in the containers.

You could always put them in a bag and put it in the keg. Just make sure they don't clog the dip tube.

I've had good success with adding hops(in a bag) to the keg for my hop-stands.

Yep -- me, too. 1oz pellets in very fine mesh bag @ pause for cooling. Let stand anywhere from 20-60min.

I use nylon fishing line to drop the bag in, loop around post. Then I pull it back up, resume cooling.

Easy -- and it works really well.

I suspect it's important to get the finest mesh possible when using pellets. I bought my bags from RiteBrew. Better than the muslin bags I've seen -- much finer, studier, and I can re-use 3-5 times after cleaning and StarSan'ing.

I have been given a pico to try out and I'm wondering about water additions. I use all RO water and add mineral to my mash water and then to my boil water. With this machine it appears that I can not do that. How have others dealt with this

Back