Perfect or hallertau or tettenaug Kolsch bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
I am designing a kolsch style beer and want to incorporate perle hallertau mittlefru and tettenaug, but I am unsure of which for bitter, which for aroma etc.... I want the final beer to be crisp, and I have the grain bill I've just never used per let, and I definitely haven't ever combined the 3....so any experienced advice would be appreciated, I am thinking somewhere around 25-28 for ibu, and I'm not opposed to using one of the 3 for a dry hop either....

And I know, kolsch isn't traditionally known for hoppiness, but I'm not traditional, and I don't really want much in the way a huge hop sense, so if there was a dry hop, it would be about 1 Oz, maybe a half

So I've been brewing for a while and kolsch is my lawnmower beer. It's the style I always have in one of my kegs. Through experimentation I've found this to be the best hop bill. Bear in mind I make a 5.8 % kolsch so depending on your % you may need to dial down the hallertau.

German Hallertau. 1oz 60 min boil
German tettanang .5 oz 30 min boil
Fuggle hops .5 oz 15 mi boil

Use 100% Hallertau, at least that's what I do. It's always fun to dry hop a Kolsch every now and then, just for experimental reasons of course.

I bitter all of my German style beers with Perle.
I love malt forward styles but I like a hint of hop character too, so I usually add an oz of any noble hops @ 10 & another oz @ KO.
my favorite combo is Perle/tettnang.

I just like to stick with single hop Hallertau for a simple beer like kolsch. I'd suggest going with an ounce each of two of your three options there if you're wanting to mix things up a bit. Three might get muddled maybe?

Honey Kolsch is my haus ale,and the recipe has been tweeked several times. The one on tap now is perle for bittering,hallertau at 30 and tett at 0 with an immediate chill. I find a whirlpool to bring too much floral flavor to the party. I have used perle for all my kolsch bittering except one with magnum and although not in a side by it was hard to tell the difference. After about 10 versions of this beer i've decided to try and duplicate this one.

Back