Penelope Porter (agave vanilla porter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApertureBrewing

Reaction score
Hello everybody! New guy to the forum here :). Long time listener / lurker, but just decided to post up and start sharing some info with you all. I typically brew all-grain but decided to have a go at a nice summer porter. Feel free to offer thoughts and opinions on what I've done here.

Just kegged it today. uncarbed version tasted awesome.

7 lbs dark LME

16 oz chocolate malt

8 oz chocolate rye

8 oz cara bohemian

1 oz cluster (bittering) (60 min)

1 oz kent goldings (35 min)

1 oz willamette (flavor) (15 min)

other: 8 oz agave nectar (10 min before flameout)

2 vanilla beans (in secondary for 1 week)

1 packet of nottingham, or create starter if available; 60 minute boil time

put crushed grains in a muslin bag. place in 2.25 gallons of water heated to 160 degrees. steep for 10 minutes. discard grain bag.

bring to a boil while adding malt extract. stir well and avoid burning.

add 1 oz Cluster hops at beginning of boil (60 min)

boil for 25 minutes, then add 1oz Kent Goldings. (35 min)

boil 10 more minutes then add 1oz willamette. (15 min)

boil 5 more minutes then add 8 oz agave nectar (10 min)

flameout after 60 minutes

pour wort into carboy and add cold water until total reaches 5 gallons. wort target temperature should be in the 75-80 degree range.

take hydrometer reading.

pitch yeast.

airlock and store for 7 days at ~70 degrees +/- 5 degrees or until airlock activity stops.

after 7 days, cut 2 whole vanilla beans in half and steep in 170 degree water for 20 minutes, then transfer beer to secondary carboy and add the vanilla beans. **important: do NOT use more vanilla then this. it will overpower and not go away.

after 7 more days, keg and enjoy. beer will probably age well and vanilla will settle over time if too strong at the beginning.

That looks pretty good! I might have to add this to my summer brew schedule. Just curious, what do you mean by "typically brew all-grain but decided to have a go at a nice summer porter?" Couldn't you have done this with an all grain recipe?

Couldn't you have done this with an all grain recipe?

Yes. I wanted the timing for this particular beer to be released right around now, so the window of brewing time I had available required that I do an extract for this one, specifically. It was a nice break from the added labor of all-grain!

Back