Partial mash Rauchbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltymirv

Reaction score
My gf wants a smokey lager so I threw this recipe together. Any thoughts? I went with partial mash 2.5 gallon as kind of a test batch

2lbs Rauch malt (Weyermann)
2lbs Dark DME

.6oz Hallertau @ 60
.2oz Saaz @ 15

Saflager w34/70

The dark DME contains 54% munich, 30% base, 13% caramel, and 3% blackmalt. It seemed like it has a good selection of specialty malts to work with the rauch. The color is way short for the style, but I'm not worried about it too much.

1.057/1.013
5.7%
20IBU
5.5 SRM

Anyone? I converted it to all grain for an estimate, might be easier to read for most

2.5gallon

2lbs Smoked Malt (36%)
2lbs Munich 10L Breiss (36%)
1lb 2-row (18%)
.45lb Crystal 60L (8.1%)
.10lb Black Malt (1.9%)

I think your pm recipe looks fine but since you are already mashing some grain, why not use pilsner or Munich extract (instead of the dark) & throw in exactly which specialty grains you want? maybe some melanoiden, caramunich & roasted for color?

I was originally going to use munich LME, but site that I ordered from only sells grain in 1lb increments, so I would have had to order 1lb of caramel and black malt, which I didn't want. I figured dark DME was a good choice since it has caramel and black malt already. Melanoiden does sound good though

Back