Pale ale water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pschnei3

Reaction score
Do these additions to RO water look right for a 5gallon batch of pale ale?

7.5gal biab

11.5lbs pale
1lbs 60caramel

Gypsum 1.5g
Cacl. .25g
Espsom. .50
Lactic acid .40/ml

7.5gal biab

11.5lbs pale
1lbs 60caramel

Gypsum 1.5g
Cacl. .25g
Espsom. .50
Lactic acid .40/ml
There's no way to say without knowing your water's profile.

Are these numbers grams per gal? Is there are target profile you are trying to hit? Or at least Chloride and Sulfate level targets?

I doctor my tap water and I only started down the route of water chemistry a few months ago, so I might not be the best to answer...but that never stopped me before! Playing around with a spreadsheet that I have, I came up with this (this is based of hitting some water profile numbers suggested in the "Water" book):
  • Calcium Chloride: 0.10 g/gal
  • Gypsum (Ca + S04): 1.70 g/gal
  • Epsom Salt (Mg + S04): 0.00 g/gal
  • Salt (Sodium Chloride): 0.25 g/gal
I often add Epsom Salt, but it is mostly because my tap is low in Sulfate, and I am trying to get that number up without adding too much Calcium. Most people seem to say to avoid Epsom Salt and that malt provides all the Magnesium needed. I also feel like you might want a touch of Sodium since you are starting with RO water.

I believe the latest version of Mash Made Easy has some recommended additions when using RO water. If I am using it correctly I see the following total additions for 7.5 gal of water to hit the West Coast IPA profile.
  • CaCl: 2.59 g
  • CaSO4: 6.23 g
  • MgSO4: 2.02 g
  • NaCl: 1.46 g

Thanks everyone for the replies! Do I add any lactic acid or wait and see what the ph is during the end of mash?

I wish I could. My pc just died and all I got is my phone. That’s why I started this thread.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Do I add any lactic acid or wait and see what the ph is during the end of mash?

With 8% C60 I wouldn't add acid, but some calculators will tell you to. It does depend a bit on the maltster though. Measure your pH at the end of your mash and make an adjustment next time if you use the same grain bill, but I'd guess you'll be 'in the range'.

Gypsum 1.5g
Cacl. .25g
Espsom. .50

No. You want a bit more in there (unless you mean g/gallon, as already asked).
I'd suggest
Gypsum: 10g
CaCl2: 3g
in total for you 7.5gallons of brewing water. You could play around with the ratio of chloride to gypsum, but ultimately aim for about 100 to 150ppm of Calcium. Some will say use more, some will say use less, but this is a good starting point.

While 100 ppm sulfate is a nice start for a pale ale, I find that it takes at least 200 ppm to create desirable dryness in that style’s finish. I personally prefer 300 ppm sulfate in my APAs.

We are all posting across two identical threads posted in two different forums. Could a moderator please merge these two threads.

I did 7g of gypsum and 3g of cacl. My ph at the end of mash was 5.38.

Thanks everyone for the help and I apologize for posting the same thread in multiple forums.

Last edited:
11.5lbs local pale malt
1lb of 60caramel

Did a Sierra Nevada Clone for the wife.

Back