Organic Hop Cultivation Year One

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snubnoze707

Reaction score
I'm taking my first stab at Hop growing this year. I plan to update this thread with pictures and information through the process.

My Region: Sonoma County. Known for our vineyards and breweries (Russian River/Lagunitas) as well as our Marijuana. In other words, weather should be prime for hop growing (I hope).

Hop Varieties: Centennial, CTZ, and Kent Goldings.

Trellis Setup: I have three long stakes that I plan to position like a teepee with coir string coming down between for the vines to grow up. Ill post pics when it's up.

Soil: Since my bed and half wine barrels are dedicated to veggies and herbs, I decided to till and amend the native soil. The top layer was nice, probably imported soil in the past. Below a layer of rock that was most likely brought in as well then the native, pain in the ass, adobe soil which is pretty much straight clay.

Amendments: Fortunately I work at a soil/compost company and have access to all kinds of organic materials. To add more organic matter as well as increase the biology in the soil, I'm using a compost/manure blend that we make at my work called Mango Mulch that consist of cow and horse manure, grape and apple pomace. I tilled that in to the native soil along with 5/16 Minus Lava Rock for airation and drainage, Gypsum to break up the clay binding molecules, Azomite to increase the mineral levels, oyster shell flour to level out pH, feather meal for a nitrogen boost, green sand for a potassium boost, and bone meal for phosphorus.

image-1390687484.jpg

image-2765069993.jpg

image-3097402165.jpg

image-2970758611.jpg

More to come...

Attachments

• image-2445134267.jpg
    image-2445134267.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 144
Back