Groundwater Depth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBond

Reaction score
Q: How deep should the water table be for hop roots to survive or thrive?

The groundwater on the land we are buying is at just 4-6 feet below the surface and I'm concerned with root rot given hops grow down to 15' . The soil is classed as medium drainage but is prone to flooding as it is along the river (previously hay/alfalfa).

There is only a single drainage ditch and I plan to add more as well as deep till (18") with a straight shank to prep the field and break through any clay or compacted layers. Obviously adding organics (over time) helps and I can even add another vertical foot with mounding.

But is this this enough? I would assume roots typically hit the water table well before 15' even in ideal conditions, so how deep is enough?

My thanks for helping with a vexing question: I've researched the hell out of this and more confused than when I started!

They'll do just fine. In nature they're generally found near water sources, river banks, ditches etc.

Back