Growing in the Texas panhandle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW_Brew

Reaction score
Had some extra space in the yard so I figured I'd try my hand at growing hops in Lubbock, Texas, situated in the Llano Estacato wine growing region.
Cascade, Multihead, and Mt. Hood plants from Great Lakes Hops went into my raised beds last Thursday (4/13/2017). Native soil was mixed into a bag of organic soil, a good bit of compost/manure with a handful of blood meal at the bottom of each. I have high hopes for the Cascade and Multihead, but I'm going to have to keep a close eye on the Mt. Hood.
Learning from previous gardening disasters, I made sure to provide light shade with some white cotton sheets and so far they have not shocked. Likely will start fertilizing with osmocote next week once they have established. They do seem to like my soil mix though!
Wish me luck!

let em know how it goes, i am interested in growing here in guatemala. they say there is a shortage of hops worldwide. do not know if its true but if it is i am curious to see how easy it is, this is a gardeners paradise and labor is cheap [email protected]

So far the cascade and multihead are going great. Cascade has two good shoots, with more coming, and the multihead has four. It started exploding today, gaining over two inches just today. Watering every other day, the Mt. Hood gets slightly more water than the other two, it's stuck with one shoot that's slow to grow. I'm hoping it'll throw some more up once the roots are established.

Multihead pic attached.

3266022004518724695-account_id=1.jpg

The Mt. Hood didn't make it. Never put up any more shoots and roots didn't grow at all. Oh well.

Cascade and Multihead are going nuts, both over 8ft tall now with Cascade already throwing burrs. We're going into the first real week of summer with temps over 100F. Watering will be critical, I believe.

Got my first harvest off Cascade yesterday. Still drying but looks like about and ounce or two once dry.
Multihead started to form cones last week, so it'll be a while before I get a harvest there.
Lots of extra growth happening (the weird day lengths here are probably triggering more vegetative growth).
A note: multihead (or Medusa as it is now known) grows like a friggin weed! I have to trim it every day to keep it under control.

Cascade, Multihead:

20170729_185843.jpg

20170729_185847.jpg

Back