Orange zest how much & when.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasta

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any advice on when is best to add orange zest? I'm brewing a pale ale today likely, and wanted some poninters on when to add (flame out/ during boil/ dry zest)? Do I soak in vodka first for adding to the secondary? I'm brewing a partial mash, 5 gal batch, and want a bit of orange flavor, and aroma.

For my wits I had it just a few minutes before flameout (5 min or less). You can also use dried or powdered orange peel (available online). Coriander (slightly crushed whole seed) also adds a nice orange aroma character.

Thanks for your reply, I will be brewing up a AHS budget Pale Ale partial mash tomorrow, I'm giving it the 1% ABV boost, and wanted to liven up the kit with some orange zest both at flame out and in the secondary for aroma. Any other suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

stuff is the biggest pain in the A$$. It will get stuck in ball valves, siphons, and everything else. Good luck. I usually added at the 5 minute mark.

I dry hopped an orange blossom Saison with orange zest in some vodka. Added it to the primary for about 5 days then kegged it. Some of the orange zest still transferred to the keg through racking but it was well worth it

Gonna brew this again next week

Toy4Rick

I was thinking I would make a loose cheese cloth satchel, or have my wife sew up a couple for use, with draw strings and all. Then put zest of two baseball sized oranges, a couple stainless steel bolts, tie it up, and pour a little vodka over the satchel to sterilize it and the zest. I would then put that into the secondary 5-7 days prior to racking to my kegs. How does that sound for a plan? I know the cheese cloth may not be porous enough to let the beer pass through quickly, hence the reason for a bigger cheese cloth satchel for just a tiny bit of zest. At least the zest won't escape, and foul up beer lines, or dip tubes. How does this sound? Any feedback is much appreciated as usual.

I dry hopped an orange blossom Saison with orange zest in some vodka. Added it to the primary for about 5 days then kegged it. Some of the orange zest still transferred to the keg through racking but it was well worth it

Gonna brew this again next week

Toy4Rick

Can you put forth your technique for dry zesting, IE is it in a muslin bad, free floating, cheese cloth...etc, what is your exact method and steps. How did the beer taste was it very orangey. Did it have mild orange, or strong orange aroma? I also orange zest end the last 2 min of the boil, so I expect some orange flavor as well.
I have heard people complain that the orange zest imparted off flavors, maybe even rotten flavors, or smells. I'm assuming yours did not as your going to brew it again.:mug:

The proper technique for a pale ale is 0 oz at 0 min.

But if you insist, don't use more than 2 oz fresh zest. I used 5 oz fresh lemon zest at 10 minutes in the boil for a wheat . It was great.

Hey BrewMasta, Thanks for the like :)

I use an actual zester, not a grater so it's very fine, almost a mush consistency. Zested 4 Cara Cara oranges into a bowl then added 1/2 C vodka and let that sit for 2 days, stired with spoon. This helped to turn it into more of a liquid paste. I then added it all directly to the primary (at 3 weeks) One week later I kegged it.

Had a few pieces go into the keg however don't recall seeing any in the glass so far.

Aroma is ~7 out of 10, taste is ~6 out of 10. Not super prominant but definately there. I will brew it again this next weekend and will not change anything as far as the oranges goes, the only change from me this time will be to add a bit of Ginger.

Might help to know this is an Orange Blossom Saison of which I added 2.75 lbs local Raw Orange Honey to the Primary

It's truely amazing for sure
Toy4Rick

Thanks Rick, what would beer brewing be if we didn't try new things, some say you never zest a pale ale....lol, I say don't get suck in a rut with brewing, ya have to try new things, where would beer be today if everyone followed some set in stone recipe. I'm taking a plane old pale ale, and making it something better in my eyes. Thanks for all your input its greatly appreciated.

Back