Opinions/Suggestions on BIAB Brewstand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my quick and dirty CAD concept for my BIAB stand that's long overdue. I intend to mount a propane burner in the two tier side. My kettle bottom will sit recessed approximately 3-4 inches below the top surface of that section.

The middle low section is for a bucket of wash water with my chiller in it that I always keep on hand during brew day, and for the fermentor at the end of the brew. The tall end is just a table for setting stuff on for convenience.

The hoist will be a commercial scaffold hoist with a 150lb capacity

I'm 6'3" and I've measured all the heights as comfortable for me.

I intend to add casters, I was just too lazy to draw them in.

I would appreciate any thoughts for improvement, ergonomics, additional amenities, etc.

Brewstand Concept.jpg

The bucket area seems like waste expecially being so close to the burner.. You can stick a bucket anywhere...

Where and how are you planning to lower the bag. I would incorporate some sort of swivel on the hoist to swing the bag over a bucket/bin. That center area might be a good place to lower the bag

The bucket area seems like waste expecially being so close to the burner.. You can stick a bucket anywhere...

Where and how are you planning to lower the bag. I would incorporate some sort of swivel on the hoist to swing the bag over a bucket/bin. That center area might be a good place to lower the bag

Exactly the kind of input I'm after thanks!

that thought occurred to me as well, so I may just remove that center section and widen the countertop.

The hoist will have 360 degree rotation and I usually lower it into a bucket to cool until the end of the brew day. So I just lift it out to drip, swivel it over a bucket, and lower it via a wilserbrewer ratcheting pulley.

I'm actually looking at this hoist

I'm also planning to mount a chugger pump below the burner, and maybe incorporate a CFC

What would be cool would be a support bar riser on each side with a slide bar across the top with rollers. (forget what they call the slide system,someone did a build thread here lately)

Hoist the bag, slide it over lower in a bucket....all on a rolling stand

The only thing that really matters with BIAB is raising and lowering the bag. You already have the propane and pot support figured out

What would be cool would be a support bar riser on each side with a slide bar across the top with rollers. (forget what they call the slide system,someone did a build thread here lately)

Hoist the bag, slide it over lower in a bucket....all on a rolling stand

The only thing that really matters with BIAB is raising and lowering the bag. You already have the propane and pot support figured out

So like railroad tracks turned on their side and the hoist bar slides laterally?

That seems a lot more difficult than buying/building one that just spins. What is the major advantage? A spent grain bag only weighs about 20lbs once it's drained too. So the mechanical advantage really only needs to be involved in lifting the bag out of the pot fully laden with wort.

I may also buy a cheap jet ski winch to remove even more effort from my brew day.

Back