Modular single-tier Al brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephonovich

Reaction score
As the title says, I'm designing a modular single-tier brewstand, to be made of aluminum. My design goals are as follows:

Each section can be separated from the other for storage.
Aluminum bar stock, for weight and just because.
Two pumps.
HLT and BK will be sized to hold a 20 gallon Blichmann. My BK is said kettle, my current HLT is a keggle. If it will hold a Blichmann, it'll hold a keggle.
MT section will be sized to hold a 70 qt Igloo cooler, with a twist - I plan on moving into a HERMS or RIMS setup at some point in the near future, which means a kettle of some sort as the MT. Therefore, the HLT and BK sections will be wider than the MT by approximately the width of the barstock. This will enable the HLT and BK sections to slide over the MT section and reduce its length for the kettle vice the cooler. I'll probably weld some angle stock in as guide rails, with end blocks to limit travel. Position will be held with ball lock pins.
Casters are a maybe. It depends how heavy the setup ends up being.

I'm going to try to put together a 3D model in SketchUp soon to help visualize it, and for blueprints.

Anyone have any input?

What kind of aluminum 'bar stock' are you planning to use??? I would use at least square tubing with aluminum, that will easily handle the weight going onto it. Make it so that it will support at least 2x the weight that will ever go onto each section. I would also be concerned about burner placement here. Are you planning on using gas burners or going electric?? If using gas, be very careful since you could easily get the aluminum too hot. I've seen my stainless burner get REALLY hot under the mash tun and BK when being fired. I wouldn't even attempt that with aluminum.

I meant square tubing; sorry.

I plan on using gas for now, with a transition to electric later.

I think if I get some SS sheet for a guard, perhaps with a reflective blanket over it, it should dissipate radiant heat well enough.

...The more I Google this, the more I worry now. Weld zones on aluminum lose 80% of their strength unless re-annealed; it will soften at around 700 F (well in the range of propane), etc.

Might have to end up going with steel, unless I bolt it together and build some kickass heat shields.

There's a good reason why stands are typically made from either mild steel or stainless steel. Especially when you're mounting the burners in them. I've seen pieces of my Blichmann burner glow red when the flame is turned up (getting more wort to a boil).

I knew that the melting point of aluminum was significantly lower than that of either mild steel, or stainless steel. Which was one of my bigger concerns. If you're using electric elements inside the BK, MLT and HLT, it won't really matter. Using Propane, and even NG, I could see it being a big issue quickly.

you can use aluminum for each stand. Just make the burner itself out of either stainless or mild steel and bolt it to the stand. Take a look at the rig in my sig. That's extruded aluminum (bigger than your bar stock), with stainless burner assemblies. The aluminum gets warm to the touch, but never hot enough to burn yourself.

Back