Opening fermenting bucket - any tips to make it easier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeve007

Reaction score
So I bought a second fermenter, but went for white bucket rather than other style with screw top, so like this one:

And damn, I didn't expect it to be so hard to open/close (found the above video AFTER it was delivered and found out how friggin' hard to close it is).

Is there any secret I'm missing to making it easier to open? Can I cut part of the edge in some way, or do I need to buy the tool as shown in the Youtube video above? I mean, I got it closed now but am really struggling to open it, and that's empty much less trying to do so without disturbing my beer.

Sorry, obvious newbie question/situation this... :oops:

You got that right, they can be a b!tch to open!
Also, some lids are tighter than others, depending on their design and fit around the bucket rim.

No, cutting a piece of the lid's rim off won't do anything except give you less grip on it. If you cut off more, removing the pinched part of that rim, it won't snap shut, leaving space for air to enter later on.

Dry hands or using a towel or gloves may help to prevent it from cutting into your fingertips. Just be careful not to touch and contaminate the inside of the bucket. Spray or mop (with a small washcloth) Starsan liberally around the rim area before opening.

Or get that tool. They're around $3-5 here, IIRC.

yeah about to head to the hardware store to ask about that tool, it was quite "comical" what I had to do to open it again...

Another lesson learned, I should have bought a second of these, which works great:
bidon-de-25-litros-con-tapa.jpg

The black bucket lids at Home Depot are not all that hard to remove. They do not have a gasket but seal pretty tight (I have to burp it occasionally if there's a really active fermentation going on, or don't snap it down quite all the way around.) After the Krausen falls, usually less than a week, I transfer to a carboy with an airlock.

Another lesson learned, I should have bought a second of these, which works great:
bidon-de-25-litros-con-tapa.jpg
I actually like buckets for fermentation, they beat (glass) carboys in many ways. You learn to deal with whatever equipment you use. Some are hard to clean, (too) fragile, and/or too floppy when moving them, etc.

I think the handle is the most undervalued asset of a bucket. I just wish the plastic hand piece was made better to actually fit hands and not break into 3 pieces. :tank:

I actually like buckets for fermentation, they beat (glass) carboys in many ways. You learn to deal with whatever equipment you use. Some are hard to clean, (too) fragile, and/or too floppy when moving them, etc.
But how do you easily take a sample to test gravity to see if fermenation is finished? That's gonna be a pain in the behind...

But how do you easily take a sample to test gravity to see if fermenation is finished? That's gonna be a pain in the behind...
Simple!
  1. Remove airlock
  2. Snake one end of a 2-foot long piece of (skinny) 5/16" OD tubing down the airlock hole until it's under the beer surface (about a foot's worth)
  3. Point the other end of the tubing down, along the bucket side, and suck on it until beer flows, then point it into a (plastic) container
  4. When enough has siphoned over for a hydrometer sample, pull the hose out of the bucket, quickly, in one smooth action, while keeping the outer end low so no beer can flow back
  5. Replace airlock
When in doubt about the techniques and process involved, train yourself with a bucket of water.

Alternatively you could use a large syringe to suck on the hose, or pull out a sample directly through the airlock hole with a piece of skinny hose fastened to its spout.

Last edited:
I have an Anvil SS fermenter and still love/prefer my glass carboy better. I like to see what is going on. Cleaning is the same. Bucket would be my las choice of all but yes they are super cheap.

Back