Online Retailers with cheap shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I want to order some yeast online seeing how I can't really make it to my homebrew store when it's normally open. But, I don't want to pay $8 shipping for a $2-5 packet of dry yeast. any good online retailers with cheap shipping?

try rebelbrewer.com, I think they have a super saver shipping for $2.99 for real small items

Dude, Barley and Hops in Glenwood is like 10 minutes away, and open all the time. They have internet pricing, and no shipping. Its right on Halsted Street.

Wow lots of NW Indiana guys! I live in Munster. Are any of you members of the Club in the SW Suburbs of Chicago? Have you tried the Homebrew store in Crown Point or in South Chicago both of these are good shops. Does Barley and Hops carry both liquid and dry yeast?

Yeah i've been to barley and hops a few times as well but I am lazy and don't feel like driving when I could have it delivered. And 10 minutes? I live right on the border and it's always taken me at least 20 to get there. edit never tried crown point they are only open 5:30-8 on wed-fri and 8 hours saturday.

10 minutes... 20 minutes... Good LORD, yes you are lazy!!! :eek: The closest shop to me is at least 30 minutes away, each way, and I enjoy the "short" trip. A few of the better shops are about an hour or more away. Still not a problem. Even with fuel cost factored in it beats the $8 shipping charge you're complaining about. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. Not to mention ambition.:p:mug:

Allright I was only complaining about shipping for the small packet of yeast. They don't have as much selection of yeast at the place and I've only ever seen them sell dry yeast. Next time I go there I will pick up a lot of stuff so that I don't have to make many trips.

My go-to LHBS is 40 minutes away and I don't mind the drive. 10-20 minutes...that's a blessing.

My LHBS is 180 miles away, and there is a closer one 150 miles away. There is a "new" place only 50 miles away that is a deli/gas station/bait shop and they carry some homebrew supplies. Not much, but a little bit.

You'd have to live in Wisconsin to truly appreciate a deli/gas station/bait shop/beer store, I think. You can get lunch, bait, a fishing liscense, ice, gas, beer, and dry yeast. They don't carrry liquid yeast, or any dry yeast you'd actually use- they have some Munton's I believe. There are also some Brewer's Best kits, canned prehopped LME, and some Island Mist wine kits. The nice thing is that they'll order a sack of Briess for me at a reasonable price- I just have to wait a month sometimes. It's only 50 miles away, though, so I can't kick about that.

I'm not sure how it is in other markets, but my local brew store is run by one guy. I've talked to him a few times about stuff I'm looking for that he doesn't have in stock, and the more I buy things the more inclined he is to order new items.

My LHBS is 180 miles away, and there is a closer one 150 miles away. There is a "new" place only 50 miles away that is a deli/gas station/bait shop and they carry some homebrew supplies. Not much, but a little bit.

You'd have to live in Wisconsin to truly appreciate a deli/gas station/bait shop/beer store, I think. You can get lunch, bait, a fishing liscense, ice, gas, beer, and dry yeast. They don't carrry liquid yeast, or any dry yeast you'd actually use- they have some Munton's I believe. There are also some Brewer's Best kits, canned prehopped LME, and some Island Mist wine kits. The nice thing is that they'll order a sack of Briess for me at a reasonable price- I just have to wait a month sometimes. It's only 50 miles away, though, so I can't kick about that.

Now 40 minutes feels like a blessing! :D

I got a 50 minute drive. I view it as a treat when I get to go to the LHBS store. Great people who run it. There is also a place by my parents in north jersey called Corratos I have checked out, but they are overpriced and geared toward wine. I order off line because of the convenience and price, but nothing beats the smell of a HBS.

Back