Online coffee bean shops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackll

Reaction score
Hey guys
Last week I bought coffee beans from my nearby store. It wasn't a good one. The quality of the beans was poor. It was the only store near my house. So I was thinking of buying coffee beans online. I haven't bought it yet. What do you guys think? It is safe to buy beans online. Is there anyone who bought the beans online? What are your experiences with it? I'm searching for an online store to buy beans.
Thanks!!

Its safe. been doing it for years having them sent overseas even I love portorico.com. It can be a little pricey but they move so much product that its always still fresh when I get it. There are plenty of other great ones out there too.

I order online from a regional coffee roaster/supplier. I could drive there, if I wanted to (1-1/2 to 2 hour drive each way). But it's simply more viable for me to place the order and get UPS to get it to me.
www.deansbeans.com is my supplier of choice.
I know there are local shops that I could purchase from. But those are typically more per pound even factoring in shipping costs. Plus, I'm in the rewards program with Deans's Beans, so after a certain amount, I get something off of an order. They also had a 20% off code that I used last order (early in the week) so that was good.
I stopped trying to get beans from regular (grocery) stores and such long ago. For one thing, they don't sell in 1# bags anymore (12oz last I looked). Even some of the online stores don't sell in 1# bags, but 12oz. That's a royal screw IMO. Since I order a 5# bag every time now. It's typically roasted on the day it ships out too. I get it the following day.
I order the Colombian beans for my baseline coffee. Sometimes I'll also order something else, just to try it out. But I'm buying a 5# bag every 6[ish] weeks at this point. I split it up into quart mason jars once it arrives, to keep things fresh. I also get whole beans, not ground, since grinding it at brew time adds another layer of freshness to things. I use a solid burr grinder that's slow speed, and adjustable for grind size. Zero heat transfer to the beans/grounds either, which also helps. I might be a bit over the top for some, but when you're drinking a single mug a day, and you expect it to be great, you do what you can. ;)

Back