Omega Lutra yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Jackson Akson

I'm not crazy about any of the Kveik yeasts I've used where the yeast has to stand on its own. But it does have a place in my brewing as long as I can hide it behind grains, hops, or in my case flavorings. Here's an Apricot Wheat I fermented with Lutra because I needed a quicker turnaround. Transferred to the fermenter at 85° and kegged 5 days later. Dropped absolutely clear in a couple weeks. It scored a respectable 30 at a BJCP-judged contest, and the BMC crowd seemed to love it.

View attachment 815613
Looks nice! I was able to hide the flavor and cloudiness under 5% cara-aroma plus 5% pale chocolate malt with moderate Simcoe, but I really couldn't call that creation lageresque.

Brewed my first Lutra beer. It really over-attenuated, 93%! 72deg F over 6 days. Recipe had an original gravity of 1.044, and I expected about a 5.0% beer with about 80% attenuation. I think Lutra is a monster. Also, beer has a slight astringency, probably from over-attenuation. Next time I will plan to make a much higher gravity wort. Lutra is too hungry and alcohol tolerant to trust to a medium gravity beer.

Brewed my first Lutra beer. It really over-attenuated, 93%! 72deg F over 6 days. Recipe had an original gravity of 1.044, and I expected about a 5.0% beer with about 80% attenuation. I think Lutra is a monster. Also, beer has a slight astringency, probably from over-attenuation. Next time I will plan to make a much higher gravity wort. Lutra is too hungry and alcohol tolerant to trust to a medium gravity beer.
For another data point I fermented a 1.052 wheat beer with Lutra and had an 84% attenuation finishing at 1.008. I transferred to the fermenter at 85 degrees F and didn’t use any temperature controls.

Haven't had that behaviour and also no astringency. I think there might be an infection present. I've brewed some sub 1.05 beers with lutra.

Haven't had that behaviour and also no astringency. I think there might be an infection present. I've brewed some sub 1.05 beers with lutra.
All my lutra brews fermented outside in summer and hit close to 90. No temp control just a tarp to keep it out of direct sunlight. Took 2 to 3 days for most brews but usually took them down to 1.002-1.004. Never had any off flavors.

Playing around with Lutra again this weekend. Actually in the process of thawing out a tube from the freezer bank and stepping it up. Going to use it on a cream ale. Once fermentation is complete I'm going to play with racking it to a keg on a priming solution, let sit for 3 weeks, pop in the kegerator at serving temps for 36-48 hours, fine with gelatin, then enjoy!

Lutra is one of the yeasts that don't get finned in the keg. I've had starters drop clear between the time taken off the stir plate upstairs and getting to the basement brewery,about 30 sec. 2 weeks primary,2 weeks in lagerator at 33* = crystal clear (whirlflok in kettle).

Playing around with Lutra again this weekend. Actually in the process of thawing out a tube from the freezer bank and stepping it up. Going to use it on a cream ale. Once fermentation is complete I'm going to play with racking it to a keg on a priming solution, let sit for 3 weeks, pop in the kegerator at serving temps for 36-48 hours, fine with gelatin, then enjoy!
Why not just dry the lutra from your next batch on grease proof paper and freeze the flakes. Then freeze those flakes of yeast.
Come brew day just take about 4cm X 4cm of flake out of the freezer and lob it straight in the wort

Why not just dry the lutra from your next batch on grease proof paper and freeze the flakes. Then freeze those flakes of yeast.
Come brew day just take about 4cm X 4cm of flake out of the freezer and lob it straight in the wort
Lutra is rarely used here so not sure about going through all that trouble for a yeast that might be used once a year or so. May play with that way down the line

Just started the second step on the yeast starter this morning. Hoping it'll be raring and ready to go tomorrow. Here's what's in the plans for the ol Brewzilla

Title: Lutra Rice Lager

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.006
ABV (standard): 4.72%
IBU (tinseth): 19.04
SRM (morey): 3.19
Mash pH: 5.93

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - Premium Pilsner (71.5%)
2.625 lb - Rice (23.5%)
0.56 lb - Rice Hulls (5%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: First Wort, IBU: 15.73
0.5 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.31

YEAST:
Omega Yeast Labs - Lutra Kveik OYL-071

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Start Temp: 125 F, Target Temp: 125 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 5.23 gal

2) Start Temp: 125 F, Target Temp: 147 F, Time: 75 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.8 qt/lb
Starting Grain Temp: 65 °F

After watching a few videos, I decided to give Lutra another go, but with higher temps, shorter times and kegging in place of bottling. Brewed a pseudo Kolsch with it:

Pitched yeast at 93F
Fermented 15 days in a 78F room with blanket wrapped around carboy
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.006
Cold crashed: 8 days
Keg conditioned: 9 days

Result: Cloudy and Acetaldehyde on steroids. The beer reminded me of the apple bubble gum I used to buy 50 years ago. I dumped it on some weeds growing in an outside planter. I'm now 0 for 21 with Lutra (5 batches with dry pitch and 16 rinse & reuse). All 6 of my packets were purchased together. Something must be wrong with them. I will gladly mail my remaining packet to anyone who might want it or anyone who can analyze it.

Kegged this batch yesterday. There was a hint of lemon/citrus so going to dose with gelatin either today or tomorrow then give it a full two weeks of carbing in the keg to see what happens. Cold conditioning/gelatin may just be the trick here. Really pulling for this strain to become the house cream ale strain...Come on Lutra :)

Kegged this batch yesterday. There was a hint of lemon/citrus so going to dose with gelatin either today or tomorrow then give it a full two weeks of carbing in the keg to see what happens. Cold conditioning/gelatin may just be the trick here. Really pulling for this strain to become the house cream ale strain...Come on Lutra :)
Wishing you the best! My setup would have been much cheaper if I had been able to get Lutra to work, but oh well. I just pitched the yeast (US-05) into my own batch of cream ale I brewed this afternoon. I went 8 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs maize, 0.25 lbs Carapils, 0.25 lbs honey malt and 1 oz total crystal hops (split at 60,30,0 min). I'll ferment at 65F for a couple weeks. I am going to try adding a couple ounces of vanilla extract at kegging this time. Hopefully I don't regret it.

Wishing you the best! My setup would have been much cheaper if I had been able to get Lutra to work, but oh well. I just pitched the yeast (US-05) into my own batch of cream ale I brewed this afternoon. I went 8 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs maize, 0.25 lbs Carapils, 0.25 lbs honey malt and 1 oz total crystal hops (split at 60,30,0 min). I'll ferment at 65F for a couple weeks. I am going to try adding a couple ounces of vanilla extract at kegging this time. Hopefully I don't regret it.
2 oz of Vanilla still may be a lot. I'd start with a tbl spn and go from their. Good luck. :mug:

I would love to try Lutra, but I can't seem to get my hands on any here in Japan. Has anyone tried drying it?
It doesn't look like anyone answered this, but yes, it is sold in both liquid and dry form. Most of the homebrew supply stores/sites sell both forms.

Back