Ok. First time yeast washing. Which layer is the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave37

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I think i did a pretty decent job letting the trub flocc to the bottom in my one gallon jug. After i racked some yeast over into 4 mason jars, i refridgerated them over night. I came down to check on them
And this is what i see in my jar.

So my 2 questions are: 1. Which layer is my yeast? The middle or the bottom or a combination of the 2?

And, from looking at this pic should i sanitize a couple more jars and just add another step? Or does this look like a sufficiently clean reusable culture.

Thanks

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391020535.108150.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1391020550.062214.jpg

The brown on top is mostly water. The trub tends to settle out first so that area in the middle is going to be your best yeast.

The brown on top is mostly water. The trub tends to settle out first so that area in the middle is going to be your best yeast.

Thats what i assumed. Thanks
To you guys for clarifying that for me.

But my main oncern was whether or not to pour off the top and middle layers of my best yeast before it completely flocculated down with the trub and less healthy yeast. Or if keeping it like this would still be of equal quality.

I say pitch it all but technically the little white line on top of the more gray grub is the viable yeast (that and the cloudy part of the liquid, but that will settle out). Remember that white line because when you are washing you will know when you get to the end of the good yeast as long as you are pourin slow

Which later is yeast in this photo? I’m trying to save the yeast, not pitch right away.

Attachments

• 2E1909F7-0143-4922-A68F-EC4AC004092F.jpeg
    2E1909F7-0143-4922-A68F-EC4AC004092F.jpeg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 20
You've resurrected two old threads for this query... Please see my reply to your post on the other thread.

You should take one of those jars and shake it up, following the timing that I described. See how it works out compared to the other jar.

Latest posts

Back