OFFICIAL Kate the Great Russian Imperial Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone care to share their recipe with actual amounts and hop schedule?

I'm trying to make the grain bill work in BS and I'm pretty close (I think); I've read most of the 56 pages and that seems to be pretty similar across the board but it seems like every recipe that I've seen posted so far uses a differing hop schedule so I'm looking for some input there.

Not too bad since I started canning wort. Makes starter life super easy.

Yeah it does! Over the last 6 months or so I've adjusted my mash to 1.4 qts/ib, up from the recommended 1.25. I've been able to hit my numbers the vast majority of the time and I have starter wort for the next batch.

How long did it take everyone to reach final gravity? I'm 9 days in and my 001 took it from 1.101 to 1.055 and activity has slowed WAY down so debating about repitching another starter of 001.

How long did it take everyone to reach final gravity? I'm 9 days in and my 001 took it from 1.101 to 1.055 and activity has slowed WAY down so debating about repitching another starter of 001.

That sounds like some bad news, Roadie. Assuming your first starter was big enough, there's a good chance you didn't get enough oxygen into the wort. You'll see a few pages back that I was having trouble bottle carbing. I tracked it down to a wort oxygenation problem. This beer is sooo big that the yeasties go take a nap if you don't have enough o2 in there. Mine were conking out just before they hit final grav.

I figured all of this out when I opened one of the bottles a few weeks later and it was overcarbing. I've since "decanted" all of my bottles into a keg and told everyone to "drink up" before it turns into high dollar vinegar.

If/when you dump in a new starter, make sure you get it oxygenated well. Stir/shake it while its growing to make those yeast nice and strong.

Does anyone care to share their recipe with actual amounts and hop schedule?

I'm trying to make the grain bill work in BS and I'm pretty close (I think); I've read most of the 56 pages and that seems to be pretty similar across the board but it seems like every recipe that I've seen posted so far uses a differing hop schedule so I'm looking for some input there.

Adirondack, this is what I use for a 6 gallon batch. I lose about 1/2 gallon during transfers, etc. This leaves me 5 gallon for my keg and I bottle 3 22oz bottles that I can store and age off of each batch to enjoy much later down the road.

hop bill ounces minutes
magnum 1.3 75
pearle 0.9 75
styrian goldings 0.9 75
centennial 0.2 15
palisade 0.3 0
styrian goldings 0.45 0
willamette 0.45 0

That sounds like some bad news, Roadie. Assuming your first starter was big enough, there's a good chance you didn't get enough oxygen into the wort. You'll see a few pages back that I was having trouble bottle carbing. I tracked it down to a wort oxygenation problem. This beer is sooo big that the yeasties go take a nap if you don't have enough o2 in there. Mine were conking out just before they hit final grav.

I figured all of this out when I opened one of the bottles a few weeks later and it was overcarbing. I've since "decanted" all of my bottles into a keg and told everyone to "drink up" before it turns into high dollar vinegar.

If/when you dump in a new starter, make sure you get it oxygenated well. Stir/shake it while its growing to make those yeast nice and strong.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't think it was an oxygen issue as I hit it with 3 minutes of O2 via airstone/O2 tank initially then 12 hours later hit it with another 2 minutes of O2.

Like SavoryChef I'm used to hitting final gravity fairly quickly. My issue is I did a stepped starter for this. First 3.5L went great but after decanting and pitching another 3.5L of wort it blew off all over flask/stir plate/countertop/floor. I was out of time so pitched what I had left and evidently it wasn't enough. Picked up another vial of 001 today (but forgot I was out of DME - doh!) so will get another 3.5L starter going tonight and when finished gently stir it in and hope for the best.

I followed yeast calculator, used two pretty fresh packs of 1056 in a 1.5 L starter on a stir plate and chose Jamil's measurements for the stir plate (more conservative). I hit my 5 gallons of 1.102 wort with O2 for 2 minutes. This was Saturday night, and when I checked it Sunday morning it was going balls out. Here it is today. The airlock has slowed way down, almost stopped. Originally I had it in a water bath and the ambient temperature of the air was 66°. After seeing the airlock slow today, I took it out of the water and bumped the thermostat up to 68.

I was so afraid of a massive blow off with this one I used five drops of fermcap, directly in the fermenter. Even with that you can see the massive Krauzen. I haven't taken a gravity sample yet, need to be more patient. I will give it another week and check it, if it is close then I will rack to secondary otherwise I may pitch some more yeast. I will be splitting this batch into two secondaries one will get port soaked Oak the other bourbon soaked Oak.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421879548.495893.jpg

I too am splitting my batch with bourbon and port soaked oak. I'm moving to secondary this weekend. I haven't taken a reading yet, but I'm sure it is finished. I warmed it up to 70 for the last week.

Mine stalled around 1.034 and I gently swirled it, and warmed it to 70. I was fermenting in the lower 60's. Once it warmed it took off again. Might try warming it. The next time I brew this, or any big beer, I'm going to start warming it up after three days to keep it active.

Mine stalled around 1.034 and I gently swirled it, and warmed it to 70. I was fermenting in the lower 60's. Once it warmed it took off again. Might try warming it. The next time I brew this, or any big beer, I'm going to start warming it up after three days to keep it active.

My normal schedule for 001 is 3 days at 65, 1 day at 66 and finish at 67. I made a 2.5L starter and added that today but moved it back to 66. Already went from 1 bubble every 8 seconds to 1 every 3 seconds. I will note that I checked gravity again before pitching more yeast and the gravity was down to 1.046 (from 1.055 last time I checked) so it was still slowly chewing through the sugars.

Mine slowed way down after 4 days with the air temperature at 66 in the fermenter in a full water bath. I removed it from the water bath and it immediately took off again. The ambient air is now at 68 and thinking about bumping up to 70 today. As of tonight it has been in the fermenter for one week. Using 1056.

Would like some advice on the oaking. I split my 5 gallon batch into 2, 3 gallon better bottles. In one, i dropped in an 8" french oak medium toast spiral, that i soaked in port for about 3 months. In the other, i dropped in about 2 oz of hungarian medium toast chips, that had been soaking in bourbon for several months.

The spiral is new, never used in beer, just soaked in port for a long time. The chips are on their second run, first batch was Denny's Vanilla bourbon porter (which. was. awesome.).

So I know the answer is "taste it, test it", but how long should I expect for each to impart a nice oaky port/bourbon flavor? Don't want to over do it. But i also don't want to be dipping into this (i have a thief) anymore that i have to. Plan on bottling these for several months before even cracking one (goal is not before Thanksgiving) and am worried about infection... that would be tragic...

I know chips work a lot faster but these are second batch chips and have been in bourbon for almost a year.

I did not pour any of the port or bourbon in, I will do that in the bottling bucket if it needs it. Will also pitch a half pack of dry high gravity yeast in each bottling bucket.

Sorry no experience with chips but hopefully someone will answer your questions.

It's been about a week since I added more yeast into mine. It's going slow but down to 1.030. I bumped it up a degree to 67 today to try and finish out maybe by next week. I have medium toast french oak cubes soaking in port and in another month will add the entire thing to the beer in secondary. Right now the beer has a bit of a harsh taste to it but in time it will mellow out.

Just cracked open my first bottle... Oh. My. Gawd! This is most ambitious beer to date, and I think I've nailed it! Great aroma immediately and just the right amount of head (.5"). The flavor is complex and balanced with a mild alcohol note on the end. Nothing is too up front and the body is medium-heavy and very agreeable.

Getting ready to take this to my LHBS' tasting this am. There will be a stout 'competition' also...

I'd like to know too. I hate carbing in the bottle now that I keg. I get much more reliable carbonation from the keg even when bottling off the keg. But I haven't checked any bottles longer than a couple months or so. So I'd be concerned about kegging this and then bottling off the keg when I'm sure I will have bottles of this for at least a couple years.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the purpose of having 3 different bittering hops? Is it a good blend of different kinds of bittering harshness?

Great looking head. Is that naturally carbed or forced?

I'd like to know too. I hate carbing in the bottle now that I keg. I get much more reliable carbonation from the keg even when bottling off the keg. But I haven't checked any bottles longer than a couple months or so. So I'd be concerned about kegging this and then bottling off the keg when I'm sure I will have bottles of this for at least a couple years.

It's natural carbonation.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the purpose of having 3 different bittering hops? Is it a good blend of different kinds of bittering harshness?
Good question. I was going to sub some out for what I had figuring you'd never notice in a beer like this.

It's natural carbonation.
Thanks. I will probably just bottle mine and hope they aren't under or over carbed.

Good question. I was going to sub some out for what I had figuring you'd never notice in a beer like this.

Thanks. I will probably just bottle mine and hope they aren't under or over carbed.

I had some big issues with mine. My FG was 1.025 which was about where I expected 1450 to poop out at. I left mine in secondary for about 6 weeks at that gravity.

I bottled mine a little cautiously to 1.9 volumes. At the 3 month mark I had some bottle bombs. I slowly pour it all into a bottling bucket, and rebottled it with no additional sugars and that is the carb I have. I think it's about 1.5 or so. A little low but I like it. No noticeable infection or oxidation 2 months after rebottling.

FG dropped about 8 or 10 points in the bottles somehow.

Just bottled and waxed 56 bottles of Kate the Great. 30 are bourbon oaked and 26 are Port oaked. Both green beers taste amazing. Now they'll be boxed and stored for 6 to 8 months. (If I can stand it that long.)

Kate the Great RIS.jpg

Just bottled and waxed 56 bottles of Kate the Great. 30 are bourbon oaked and 26 are Port oaked. Both green beers taste amazing. Now they'll be boxed and stored for 6 to 8 months. (If I can stand it that long.)

Fantastic! What size bottles are those? Did you cap them and then wax on top of that? Or are they corked?

I have a 5 gallon batch split and aging on the same Oak and liquor you did. I was thinking of putting some in 750s with a cork and cage and 12 ouncers on the rest.

Fantastic! What size bottles are those? Did you cap them and then wax on top of that? Or are they corked?

I have a 5 gallon batch split and aging on the same Oak and liquor you did. I was thinking of putting some in 750s with a cork and cage and 12 ouncers on the rest.

There 12's. Just used oxygen barrier caps and waxed over so I can age them longer. Planning on brewing this annually and stretching them out for a vertical for at least six years or longer.

I have a 5 gallon batch split and aging on the same Oak and liquor you did. I was thinking of putting some in 750s with a cork and cage and 12 ouncers o

I used 2 oz of med toast oak spiral soaked in tawny port. Pulled and carbonated 1L of it after just more than 3 months. The complexity was there but I think I may add a bit more port wine.

The oak flavor was pretty overpowering. Having never had the original, I can't judge if that is normal. I'm sure the oak profile will subside with age.

Most likely, I will keg this to let me age it until fall.

Would like some advice on the oaking. I split my 5 gallon batch into 2, 3 gallon better bottles. In one, i dropped in an 8" french oak medium toast spiral, that i soaked in port for about 3 months. In the other, i dropped in about 2 oz of hungarian medium toast chips, that had been soaking in bourbon for several months.

The spiral is new, never used in beer, just soaked in port for a long time. The chips are on their second run, first batch was Denny's Vanilla bourbon porter (which. was. awesome.).

So I know the answer is "taste it, test it", but how long should I expect for each to impart a nice oaky port/bourbon flavor? Don't want to over do it. But i also don't want to be dipping into this (i have a thief) anymore that i have to. Plan on bottling these for several months before even cracking one (goal is not before Thanksgiving) and am worried about infection... that would be tragic...

I know chips work a lot faster but these are second batch chips and have been in bourbon for almost a year.

I did not pour any of the port or bourbon in, I will do that in the bottling bucket if it needs it. Will also pitch a half pack of dry high gravity yeast in each bottling bucket.

I used chips but just poured in the port and bourbon at bottling. It takes a lot more than you would think. I didn't want the oak to be to strong/harsh is why I did it this way. The port version is the best.

Seconds on the yeast at bottling, I opened every one of my bottles at a year and ones that foamed got recapped, the rest got a sprinkle of yeast to help them along.

On the oak, I used 2oz of med toast American soaked in port for 6 months, at the two year mark the oak has faded, but the beer is still great. Going to make my second batch this spring and have it ready for Christmas 2016. I'm thinking that batch will use the 4oz that I have sitting in port now.

There 12's. Just used oxygen barrier caps and waxed over so I can age them longer. Planning on brewing this annually and stretching them out for a vertical for at least six years or longer.

I plan on doing the same thing as you (bottling and waxing the caps).

Did you bottle of a keg or from a bottling bucket? If the latter, what do you do to ensure there's no oxygen in the bottles when capping them?

Also, any tips on waxing the bottles?

I plan on doing the same thing as you (bottling and waxing the caps).

Did you bottle of a keg or from a bottling bucket? If the latter, what do you do to ensure there's no oxygen in the bottles when capping them?

Also, any tips on waxing the bottles?

I bottled from a bucket and once it was full from the bottling wand I just slipped a cap onto the bottle.
I used a small inexpensive crock pot for the wax. Worked great.

Just doughed in. My mash tun is heavy!
Hit 150.8F - .2* off from my goal. Pretty good with that much grain.

If everything goes well I'll do a parti-gyle with the extra runnings. Thinking a maple chai brown or something like that.

I'm going to make this again, grain is sitting next to my desk.
Plans six and a half gallons in the the fermenter, 6 gallons to the secondary, tertiary in two 3 gallon carboys for 5 months. One with port and port soaked medium toast oak cubes staying true to the original. The other Makers Mark soaked oak cubes and the whiskey.
For a Parti, a Chocolate Belgium. Mash .5 pounds Chocolate, 1 pound of 2 row, 1 pound of Cara-Pills and add DME to the second running to get to 1.060 then after a couple of days on a Trappist ale yeast add one pound of Cocoa Nibs Cascade Beer Candi Syrup.

Nice, I like the idea of a chocolate Belgian.

My first brew went ok but couldn't get the boil off I was hoping for. Ended up with 6 gallons of wort 1.095.

About to do the gyle batch, current rubbings are 1.050. Thinking about adding some maple syrup and maybe some chai in the secondary.

My first brew went ok but couldn't get the boil off I was hoping for. Ended up with 6 gallons of wort 1.095.

I was having issues with boil off and went to a shorter wider pot last year. Last night I went from 7.5 to 5.25 in an hour at 45degs with a slight wind. I was shooting for 5.5 so I had the fire set to a low rolling boil. Based on the boils I've done the 3 issues I see affecting the boil off are from largest to smallest.

1) Strength of the Boil.
2) Wind, 5MPH will boil off more than dead calm
3) Surface Area, a large diameter pot will boil off much quicker than a tall narrow one.

Latest posts

Back