Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I actually broke it while washing it. I didn't think I was scrubbing that hard, but I guess I was.

I've since stocked up and now always have at least two hydrometers on hand so I'll have a back up the next time I break one.

Broke it while taking it out of its storage tube.

Got to the HBS just before they closed so I could get a reading on my Wheated IPA.

Two in one batch is my record. Put one on the arm of an Adirondack chair while the kettle boiled. It rolled off. Went to shop and bought a new one. Took one reading with it then put it down in a safe spot. 5 year old kid grabs it and asks "what's this?" before dropping the new one. Guy at the LHBS laughed but said people have bought more than two in one day.

1160. Soaked it in Star-San and grabbed the skinny end. Proceeded to shake the excess fluid off and snap!

Exactly this ^^^^^^^^^

HOLY CRAP!!!! 1161

I would think this is ironic to be the very next person to post on this thread and have it be the same exact method of fracture....

Probably more common than I thought..:tank:

That's why I bought a refractometer. I convinced the wife it was the cheaper option in the long run.

I've broken 2. One from grabbing the skinny end and it snapping and the other broke while soaking in sanitizer with other brew equipment.

One jumped to its death off the couch and and second went straight through the bottom cap of the tube

Wind blew the tube off the table on brew day. I am glad that I had a refractometer to take an OG reading.

1169 Cat knocked over the graduated cylinder and shattered sanitized water and hydrometer glass everywhere....

1170 (personal 3) Making my first batch of mead while inebriated and trying to get back to normal time from covering graveyard. Glass, weight pellets and sticky must all over my new tile job.

1171. My friend was in the back watching the wort cool. I grabbed the test tube put the hydrometer in it and when i shoved the theif in the tube it hit the tip of the hydrometer and broke it. Now i have a oktoberfest and stout with no OG

I was so glad I returned my father in law's hydrometer unbroken after buying my own after reading this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1172. Kept the one from original brew kit for 20 years. After buying a refractometer, only used it for FG.
Dropped the refractomer on last batch, rendering it useless. I grabbed the trusty old hydrometer soldier for a lauter reading...and I noticed a crack in the bottom. Wort leaked in...
This post will serve as the final eulogy for a loyal, accurate tool.

<sniff> See you later, old friend...in that big fermenter in the sky !

1173. Cleaning up on the concrete driveway, talking to a neighbor and... slip. Its amazing how much damage can be done from 6" up.

1174, and maybe 1175. So when I brewed my last batch my hydrometer was in its cylinder and got knocked over...it broke so thats the first one. Tonight I was bottling and took an FG reading with the second one I had and it seemed way too low, like 1.003 or so. I put that hydrometer in some 62 degree water and it read somewhere around .990 ugh. I bought another hydrometer earlier and tested it; it read right around 1.000 in the same sample of water. I wont chuck the second one, it'll just go back to being the backup.

1174, and maybe 1175. So when I brewed my last batch my hydrometer was in its cylinder and got knocked over...it broke so thats the first one. Tonight I was bottling and took an FG reading with the second one I had and it seemed way too low, like 1.003 or so. I put that hydrometer in some 62 degree water and it read somewhere around .990 ugh. I bought another hydrometer earlier and tested it; it read right around 1.000 in the same sample of water. I wont chuck the second one, it'll just go back to being the backup.

Geez. . . for the cost of a new backup that actually works correctly I think I'd make the inaccurate hydrometer number 1175. Might be cathartic! :ban:

1178. Just rolled of the table and onto the floor...then my poor hydrometer was no more.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

1179 and 1180. Roommate knocked it off the table and it broke. Bought another and the next batch I brewed used it and was drying it in the dish strainer. ROOMMATE gets a bowl out and ends up smacking something into it and breaks it again. Decided to buy a refractometer!

Pulled it out of the just delivered box. I filled a bucket with starsan. Knowing it was very delicate I took special care putting it in the buck but didnt put much thought into after that while i loaded all my other supplies. Pulled everything out and it was cracked.

1182 does it count if it was delivered broken? Order two more just incase I broke one I had a spare. A week later I open the box and and one of them was broke in half.:(

I'm seeing some trends.
Always sanitized a hydrometer solo. Never store it on a "flat" surface.
Keep your hydrometer away from all other living entities.
A hydrometer is like a baby, it should never be shaken.
A hydrometer should be encased in armour whenever possible.
Don't even look at it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Left it next to the sink and my brother hit it with the coffee pot. It read 1.000 in water, the replacement reads 1.003&#128545;

Sent from somewhere using Home Brew

dropped it into an empty glass graduated cylinder. acceleration of gravity is way faster than when it isn't full of liquid. broke the bottom of the grad. cylinder hit the floor broke the hydrometer.

Whole lot of palm slaps to the forehead that night.

I had one slip from my hand when passing it to my BIL. It was for maple syrup. Does that count?

&

Yup...2 in one day!!!!

Had one fall out of the case, ran to the LHBS and bought a new one. That one broke in my thief while I was taking my OG of a new batch. Had to have SWMBO stop and get me a second.:smack:

1190 & 1191.

Its funny cause as a new(er) brewer I thought I was the only one this happened to. I've broken 2 since October, and both times it was when I was grabbing it to get my OG. Both times it was dropped because of my slippery sanitized hands.

Back