Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1091, I've broken 2 in the past 18 months. Guy who works at my LHBS says he bought 2 and never broke another one, going on 7 years. Seems like a good idea - next time I break one, I'll do the same.

1093 Carboy bumped one and wife bumped the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Broke one in the middle of a brew session a cpl weeks ago. Don't think I ever got around to adding it in.

1099 & 1100

I was dumb and left the hydrometer out on the counter, not in its case, and still in the sample vessel. The cat jumped up on the counter and knocked it over.

The replacement arrived in the mail already broken. (Does this count?)

1102- had it in a test tube on my dresser... threw my socks twards the bin next to the dresser hit the hydrometer and it fell on the ground but didnt break! i picked it up and right as i was about to put it down i droped it and it broke-_- fml...

1103. I was consolidating my various beer tools into one large toolbox, dropped the hydrometer. Unfortunately, it broke; fortunately, I dropped it into the garbage can so there was no cleanup.

1091, I've broken 2 in the past 18 months. Guy who works at my LHBS says he bought 2 and never broke another one, going on 7 years. Seems like a good idea - next time I break one, I'll do the same.

Having two will make it so you don't break one. I have two.........

i'll take 1104 and 1105 - i broke two of them a few months ago and swore them off. I don;t really care about the abv - so i just use a refractometer. It gets me a close enough read.

1107- This happened in February. I just set it down way to hard in the sink.

1108- This happened in late April. I didn't realize the hydrometer was in the sample tube and I poured the whole deal into the sink.

I think this may explain the horrible noises coming from the disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In hydrometer-almost-broken related news, I found the cap on the little tube I keep my hydrometer in, after it having been missing for about two years, and me just sticking the hydrometer in there with no cap, causing it to have slipped out once or twice while picking it up.

Still using the same hydrometer, going strong for a good 7 or 8 years at this point. (knock on wood)

1109. Last month I broke my first one, bought in 1997. Left it in the sink after washing and put something down on top of it. Let's see how long my second one lasts.

1111 and 1112. The first one I broke, I was either drunk or having a brain seizure. I cracked the plastic case and thought the whole thing was worthless without a container to hold the liquid. I guess I never thought about using a cup or just about anything else?
The second one was in my hand as I was attempting to screw something together. Hulk smash.

1116, broke one a while back and forgot to add it to the counter

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

1117, broke my first awhile back. A little later I also broke a test tube. (Don't ask how) 😒

1119 - finally happened, my first one :( after about 4 years and was the only original piece of equipment from my first buy... booooo... though i still have my capper.

1021 - hit the bottom of the test jar too hard.

I only use a refractometer now and correct for fermenting wort with BeerSmith2.

1024. I broke my first one a few months ago. Apparently I had my hydrometer in a bucket which I proceeded to dump into another bucket. :confused:

I've been brewing for 5 years now and still have the same original hydrometer from my first kit. I've only bothered to use it maybe 20 times in 190 batches.
I use my refrac almost every brewday for OG but I don't really care about FG because it is what it is and it always is what it is after 10+ days in fermenter. Who needs the dumb things anyway? If it breaks I won't replace it. I don't need it.

1127 and 1128

I've broken two within the last year, one before I could actually use it, the second one lasted about 6 months. I'm also in my second glass hydrometer test jar. I have a refractometer but like using a hydrometer to check finished beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I broke my second one when I put it in a smaller kettle for steeping a couple pounds of grain for one of the E/SG kits I just did & didn't slid it down in the kettle far enough before putting the lid on. Broke the very top of it. It was the spare I ordered with my Cooper's Microbrew kit when I started. They still sold the common glass one back then.

1130. Broke one about a year ago, before I adopted the device of stuffing it wrapped in paper towel into the graduated cylinder. Snug and secure.

Back