Oberon cultivated yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmubronco

Reaction score
So I was able to use some slurry from 2 bottles of Oberon (Feb '15 date on bottle), to make a small 3/4 cup starter. That was on stir plate for 3 days and then sat in keezer (36 F). After about a week and a day, I just made just under a 1L wort batch to kick it up again.

It's bubbling away fairly good about 20 hours in. Here's a photo.

Any comments on if this should be sufficient for the 5.5gallon batch I'll be brewing later today?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432298574.341635.jpg

What's the anticipated gravity of the batch? I feel like you're gonna be a little short on cell count, my starters usually want at least 1.5 litres for a 5+ gallon batch

Edit: so I just ran your numbers through brewers friend's yeast calculator, assuming your starters were at 1.040 you should have about 190 billion cells. That's pretty much spot on for what you want for 5.5 gallons at 1.05. If you pitch the whole thing while its active I would be fairly comfortable going as high as 1.065 and still expecting a quick start to fermentation

Thanks for the follow up post. It took just over a day to start seeing active fermentation in the blowoff tube bucket. Put the airlock on last night after the weekend, and there was a steady release still. Looks like my starter was sufficient enough, but true test will be in another 2 weeks or so.

If it took just over a day to start that could be an indication that it wasn't a sufficient starter. 1.5l is usually what I aim for when my gravity is 1.060 or below. You could stress the yeast which could cause off flavors. Not a huge deal if the off flavor compliments the beer, but just a thought.

Back