Not-So-Secret-Santa Christmas Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out for delivery. Looks like it's pretty chilly in the Little Apple today - some of those might be ready to drink right out of the box.

I decided I could slip away from the office for 30 minutes to unpack this beauty and I'm glad I did!! Matt, you are insane!! All of the home brews sound awesome and I was really hoping you included a gose to try. I hope you know this RU55 isnt going to last through the weekend. I cant believe you included that, thank you! I hear they have another batch fermenting away so hopefully I can land another to try next to my version when the time comes. I cant wait to crack into your beers and will be sure to give you honest feedback on them, thanks again!! :rockin:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418334463.693787.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418334478.317723.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418334494.788498.jpg

Sweet. Now I can sleep soundly on the flight, haha.

Like I said in the pm, the three older HBs are gtg. The two porters could use a week or two at least, and I'll let you know about the Brett saison in a little while. :)

Sweet. Now I can sleep soundly on the flight, haha.

Like I said in the pm, the three older HBs are gtg. The two porters could use a week or two at least, and I'll let you know about the Brett saison in a little while. :)

Sounds great! As I look more into the extras, the CL and 19 sound fricking fantastic. You overdid yourself sir!

The 19 is very tasty. Haven't had this year's Golden Delicious, but previous batches were solid. Saw a couple reviews saying this years was a bit boozy.

Oh, and all the HBs are on Untappd too ;)

The Pumpkin Buffalo Sweat is very nice. not too sweet, not too dry. I'd drink a handful of these. Pumpkin porter or sweet stout? Its better than my pumpkin stout.

I received a shipment from Gentlemans_Ale today... 2 days ahead of schedule :rockin: I enjoyed a HB Munich-Helles Lager with dinner and it was great! I'm not normally a huge fan of lager, but I clearly haven't had a good homebrew lager! (The only one I had to date was an Oktoberfest kit I ordered by mistake and had no idea what I was doing.) the bottle I opened was filled absolutely to the brim!!!Bonus! And it was crystal clear... I haven't mastered this yet. I look forward to trying the rest. Thanks!!!! :drunk: BTW, is this on Untappd?

I have now tried all of the beer in this package. The local craft beers were good. I really enjoyed the coffee ale. The dipa was tasty, but not as hop heavy as I expected, probably due to being canned in August. The Vienna lager was my least favorite. I'm sure it was good to style, but it tasted kind of bland to me. I still have another one of your Homebrew lagers left, and I plan to enjoy that this weekend.

Thanks, Sfgoat, for setting this up and allowing me to participate. It was my first time doing this and I really enjoyed it. I look forward to doing it again!

I have now tried all of the beer in this package. The local craft beers were good. I really enjoyed the coffee ale. The dipa was tasty, but not as hop heavy as I expected, probably due to being canned in August. The Vienna lager was my least favorite. I'm sure it was good to style, but it tasted kind of bland to me. I still have another one of your Homebrew lagers left, and I plan to enjoy that this weekend.

Glad you enjoyed them! Wish I could have given you a few more stouts. Thanks for the feedback!

Alright last one for the night . Cleaned my palate with an accumalation.

Bourbon barrel Porter. I was warned, a bit over carbed small bottle gusher. Pours black with the aroma of bourbon. Good head retention , good flavors from the bourbon that leave you with a warm mouth feel. The heavy carbonation plays games with your senses. I would love to try this with less carbonation . I am usually not a fan or bourbon aged beers. Eliminate the heavy sparkling effect and the flavors are great.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418349018.103783.jpg

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

Thanks for the feedback Jeremy. Happy to hear you liked them. Next time you're itching for some snow head on up and stop by. I love the breakfast stout on nitro!!! and the pale ale taste better carbed haha.

Thanks for sending out the brews. I had to stop after that bourbon porter, wow it had a kick but was not over boozy.

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

On FedEx vehicle for delivery, so here goes.

-When you see that someone has received your package, please post a brief (or not so brief ) message on what brew is what and other notes you want everyone to know.

Apple Pie Mead: it’s getting close to 2 years old now, Getting better every time I open one, still could use more time if you want to wait if not its completely drinkable as is.

Skeeter Pee: Pretty much original recipe, used a bit more sugar so it got up to 10%, nothing special.

Berry Pee: Skeeter Pee second batch but with black tea, and back sweetened with juice concentrate and close to 13% abv.

Bogarts Barley Wine: @KingBogart made this one 1.111OG tons of dark fruit flavor and aroma.

Hoptarts: An American barley wine, brewed summer 2014, took first in barley wine category at KROC comp with score 38. Fairly hop forward but nice sweetness on the back. Was going to brew with poptarts in the mash but chickened out last minute, will do it next time though lol.

Raspberry, Vanilla, Earl Grey Mead Stuff: Young and should get some age, close to 15% had to rush to bottling for Christmas gifts, pretty smooth for only being a little over a month old.

Apple Pie Ale: Pretty tasty one, I apologize if its not carbonated, had issues getting this batch to carb up for some reason but all the others from that 6 pack were so here is to hoping. Won our local club comp, has decent amount of malt with some crisp green apple flavor.

Mad Elf: Belgian dark strong, my attempt at a clone, pretty close but a little dryer than the original. Sent it off to the Big Beers and Barley Wine Comp so hoping to get more feedback on it next month when the results come back.

The Abyss: Year old RIS, clone attempt aged on oak and cherry bark. A bit thinner than and not quite as complex as the original if you have ever had it. Overall though, it has turned into a good beer over the past year.

I look forward to hearing about likes and dislikes as well as any flaws you find. The only thing under 10% is the Apple pie ale and its 8% so just keep that in mind.
:mug:

Having BGBC's sour blackberry cider. I give this a 5/5! The nose is all sour funk and smells fantastic. You get a little fruit on the palate but mostly acidity. If i didnt know better, i would say its a beer. I already asked for the recipe and have plans to make this myself. Great job man, i enjoyed the hell out of this!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418412120.443805.jpg

Here’s my brief brew description

1. Dry Hopped Pale Ale – Based off of Founders pale ale, came in lower on the FG than I wanted but still has a good body. Dry hopped with cascade. 5.4 ABV

2. Bocktober – This was my first Bock and first use of the fermentation chamber, brewed for our annual deer camp brew off. Took second. 5.2 ABV.

3. Breakfast Stout – Good amount of coffee added to this one along with some chocolate. 8.2 ABV. I brewed this one more for my taste, I’m a big coffee guy but luckily so is Jeremy.

4. Bourbon Barrel Porter – Bottled this last Christmas and kegged the other half, which didn’t last long. Oak chips and Makers 46 for additions. The bottles carbed up too much for the style but oh well. Live and learn. 13.2 ABV

Four homebrews and two local sort of beers have been sent today. I say sort of local because one is from Atlanta the other is from Tampa Florida last time I was down there And I know you can't get that beer in the state I am shipping to. I included one extra but it is not in a bottle. It's more like a mason jar......

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew and I don't care for the new format so much.

Mine is boxed up, but not shipping out until Monday the 15th via FedEx.

Woohoo.

These are the beers I sent to distrubdchemist. He's posted comments on the first two. I reference "bottling" dates but these were all kegged. I filled bottles from my kegs for this shipment. It's my first attempt at "keg bottling".

IPA 1
This is Charlie Papazian's recipe from Jul/Aug 2014 Zymurgy magazine called "Perfect IPA". MO, wheat, Belgian Special-B malts with cascade, chinook, summit, citra and Zythos hops. US-05 yeast and honey added at flame out to increase ABV a bit. OG 1.06 FG 1.010 80 IBUs (tastes more like 60 to me). ABV 6.7% bottled late July. Has lost a bit of aroma but tastes really good to me.

IPA 2
It's my recipe I call Golden Doodle. 2 row, small amount of crystal 60 plus wheat and victory. Citra and Cascade hops. S-04 yeast. IBUs calculated at 77 but this is my first hop stand and it's a bit bitter which I really like. It's very green and was bottled on 11/23. I can drink it now and I enjoy it but it will probably be better in a couple of weeks. OG 1.059 FG 1.013 ABV 6%

ZD
Zombie Dust clone. I followed the popular recipe on HBT with 2 row, munich, carapils, crystal 60 and melanoidin. S-04 yeast. OG 1.066 FG 1.013 ABV 6.9% bottled the end of Sept and I really like this one.

Pumpkin
Pumpkin Porter. 2 row, 6 row, black patent and crystal 60. Hallertau and cascade hops. S-05 yeast. Roasted, canned pumpkin added in the mash with vodka spice tincture (allspice, nutmeg, ginger) and coffee added to secondary. OG 1.052 FG 1.012 ABV 5.2% Note the spice and coffee are very subdued as I didn't want to over power it. Bottled the end of August.

I'm also adding a couple of craft brews. Schlafly Export IPA and Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. The Export is local to me and I was in Florida last week and bought the Jai Alai.

Last edited:
Crazy Christmas season!
Got home last night, (late) wife kissed me and said "Hurry and change, we're late". Then as I'm starting the truck I get " oh, and you got your wish, a package from Laramie came in."
Will try to unpack and post pics tonight prior to Michael Martin Murphy.
What better time to enjoy beer from the Cowboy State than just before The Cowboy Christmas Ball?

Going to be a great Weekend!

:mug:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418511705.138928.jpg

L to R
The Abyss, apple pie mead, Bogarts Barley Wine, mad elf clone v1, Apple pie ale, Hoptarts
Back row: raspberry vanilla earl grey mead, skeeter pee, berry pee
Wife wants to break into the mead and berry... I may start with the mad elf...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418511668.015298.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 88
Really excited, these are the first hb I have had other than mine. Kind of on a hb island in my little town, and don't have time to go to meetings in bigger towns in the area.

Back