Nopal Cactus Juice in a Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
Brewing up a gose either this week or next. Plan to keg with some cucumbers and nopal cactus juice. For 5 gallons, how much do you think is needed? Plan on using 1 lb. of cucumbers, just not sure how much of the cactus juice i'll need for a hint of the flavor.

Beer in an inspiration from Sierra Nevada's Otra Vez.

I have no idea. I assume the cactus juice will have sugar, fermentables, in it, so you'll need to add it to the boil. If you are just going to add it to the keg, though, you might try the 'add a little, taste, add a little more, taste, etc." method. I do that all the time.

If you're kegging, I would add the cactus juice after disabling the yeast wth campden tablets. Force carbonate to achieve the best cactus flavor. Cactus is a very subtle and easily volatilized flavor, adding to boil may effectively eliminate any flavor contribution.

The cucumber could be done in a similar fashion, cut up and add to the keg and let condition for a few days (or to taste). Half a pound would probably be enough. Cucumber is mostly water and has a quite dominant flavor. Adding slightly more than necessary could add a slickness to the beer as well as that "lotion" flavor. Adding to the keg gives you the ability to taste as you go and remove it when the best flavor is achieved. Cheers! Hope it turns out well!

Latest posts

Back