Noob campden question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdriver1005

Reaction score
Hey all,

Kind of a beginner question, but would there be anything inherently wrong with tossing in some campden tablets during kegging just to be safe, then force carbing as usual? I was just thinking about brewing some soda with some less than sanitary ingredients and wanted to minimize infection risk.

TIA

Well, as long as your surfaces are sterile, this would just be a waste of tablets. But if kegged, it should be consumed within a week or two. The next best thing is citric acid.

Does that answer your question?

What "less than sanitary" ingredients are you using? If you're brewing, and you give them a proper boil, you should be fine. I agree with the citric acid, that way you're sure to avoid botulism if you're using something with dirt on it.

Well my thoughts were to brew a soda with honey, without pasteurizing it, and it will probably be around a while. So if it was safe to use a tablet in the keg I thought that might be a good idea. I know honey usually comes with microbes so I wanted to sterilize it somehow.

The microbes in honey are enzymes, not bacteria. Honey NEVER spoils.

Though even with preservatives, you should refrigerate your soda and consume it in a timely manner.

The microbes in honey are enzymes, not bacteria. Honey NEVER spoils.

Though even with preservatives, you should refrigerate your soda and consume it in a timely manner.

Honey has been known to contain botulism SPOREs (not bacteria, and in small quantity.). Thats why its not recommended for children under 3; their immune system cant fight off the spores like an adult can.

Botulism Spores are activated by heating, with a kill temperature at 240F. Once activated, they grow and produce toxin in any environment without oxygen and with a pH higher than 4.6, so you may be fine. It will take a while, but you can get a sugar solution to boil that high if you want to get rid of them that way.
I don't think that a campden tablet will do the trick on the spores, but it would deal with any wild yeasts in the honey, if there are any.

Back