non refrigerated hops and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaclaren

Reaction score
I have the vacuum packed but didn't keep in fridge, 3 months old but kept in cabinet. Are they still good or do I need to buy new?

I have the vacuum packed but didn't keep in fridge, 3 months old but kept in cabinet. Are they still good or do I need to buy new?

Dry yeast will be fine. Liquid yeast will not fare well, and should be replaced. Hops are a bit of a tossup — definitely better to store in a freezer, but probably still usable at three months.

You are planning to brew again, aren't you? Buy replacement hops and store them in the refrigerator. When you open the packet(s) of hops that you have, sniff test them. If they still smell good, go ahead and use them. If not, you have replacement hops on hand.

Hops are fine. For most hops you can find the HSI (Hop Stability Index), which is a measure of the amount of loss of AAs over 6 months when left out in 70 F environment. It is usually somewhere between 25 and 50%. You have only left them 3 months, and are vacuum packed. I think you can conservatively estimate ~ 50% of the deterioration due to being vacuum packed, and ~50% due to only being 3 months.

Confused! Assume you have Cascade which has a 50% HSI, that is a loss of 50% AAs over 6 months when left open. You have only left them 3 months, so cut that to 25% loss. You have also had them vacuum packed, so assume half that, or ~12% loss.

There are programs that can do the calculation for you.

Back