No kick at end - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olayak

Reaction score
I made my first ginger cider. It was delicious! :ban:

But, although we could taste the ginger sufficiently and it fermented and carbonated well, it was a little bitter and there was no "kick" in the end, like you get with beer and hard apple ciders. Obviously I need more sugar to increase the sweetness, but how can I create the "kick"? What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

Details of your recipe?
And remember, with any simple sugar, you won't get any added sweetness as they ferment completely. In fact, if you want to 'dry out' a recipe(make it less sweet) you add sugar.
I did a cider last year with 2 lb of honey, 1 lb Crystal10 and 4 gallons cider. Not much cider taste and dry as leather. Has started to taste more like cider after 9 months, but I still add a 1/2 tsp sugar when I pour me one. This year I'm going to try again, doing it more like a Graf. Thinking about using 1 lb Honey Malt and 1 lb of Crystal 50or 60. I'll also use a low attenuating ale yeast instead of the Wyeast cider yeast.

Back