NHC 2014 - NO Pro Night?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilrascal

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well first the good news, it looks like everyone that registered for the conference will get to attend. But then I read there is no pro night. This may have been discussed, but today was the first I heard of it. This was on the AHA's website:

"New in 2014, conference attendees will enjoy a welcome reception on Thursday evening. Sample beers from local craft brewers and snack on appetizers in a fun, intimate event alongside other registered attendees. AHA Director Gary Glass will officially kick off the conference with a group toast. Stay tuned for details on participating breweries.

The welcome reception is Thursday’s final official conference event of the day. After the reception ends at 7:30 pm, consider exploring Grand Rapids for dinner and beers at nearby breweries and beer bars."

So the toast and beer samples only goes from 5:30 to 7:30. Then everyone is on their own to go to various restaurants and bars? While obviously during the day we all enjoy the classes, Pro and Club night are what made NHC what it is. This is a big mistake on AHA. I am sure they will bill this as some type of improvement.:smack:

This may be the last year I go. AHA has made some poor choices regarding NHC the last couple years. Last year it was a huge disappointment that the Pro and Club night were so crowded you could barely move. I blame this on AHA for not renting more space at the conference center. Half of the room was blocked off. If they would have used more of the room, it would have been much better.

I'm not sure why they changed it- I've always loved Pro Brewer's Night, and never missed a minute of it. They announced way back when that it had changed, so I've had some time to get used to the idea though.

It's true that last year it was so crowded that you could hardly move both nights, also.

I would assume it was financial. This would require another night of conference space rental and set-up / tear -down costs. Having a reception at a Hotel (where you already have a toast anyways) would be a lot cheaper.

I'm getting impression that AHA is a pretty second rate organization. You'd think increased membership and revenue would mean better organization and events, not the opposite.

Latest posts

Back