Newbie's "when 2 drink that beer"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
I am a new brewer. My first batch was brewed Feb 29 2012. Fermented 3 weeks in primary, then bottled and left in the dark at 68deg F. I have read alot on this site... newbies like myself wanting to know "when can i drink this stuff". Well i can say the best thing for a newbie to do is this, just try a bottle every week, i mean.. you have 50 bottles. I tried one the first week.. kinda nasty a bit.. next to no carb.. no head murkey.. not clear... then week 2..another taste test.. a little more carb.. a little more head.. not much tho.. small thin layer.. more clear but still could not see thru the bottle... taste started to mellow out a bit, but still tasted "young" or grassy.. newish.. Now i am on week 3.. each time i chill the bottle for 2-3 days in fridge at 38deg F before i try it.. Now this 3rd week.. you cantell the beer is "trying" to come together.. i am tasting more malts & hops along with more crispness and clairity. less "homeyness" and more "beerlike". Carbonation is more noticeable now, yet still lacking. I can smell greatness on the upper lip now.. it's gettin close but still not quite there yet. So as i drink this tasty homebrew at 3 weeks in bottle (Amber ale extract kit BB) i feel i need to passs on newbie knowledge. You have 50 or so bottles there.. put 1 in the fridge the first week after bottling for 2 days or so. Drink it.. take notes.. then do the same thing at 2 weeks, then at 3, then at 4 ect... notice week by week how the beer changes. I feel this is the only way to know when YOU will "like" your beer. Some drink it early - some drink it later.. either way.. if you taste it as it matures along.. you will have a better idea of what to taste for in future batches. They seem to get better with age.

Just a comment for better readability - please open up your paragraphs with spacing rather than one run-on paragraph. Makes it a bit tough to read.

B

And then, after you drink the last beer of the batch, lament at how it was the best one :)

Good post. I'd also like to state that it depends a lot on the style. I love IPAs and American Pale Ales as fresh as possible. I love it when those crisp american hops bite you in the nose. English Ales seem to use more earthy hops and benefit from a month or so in the bottle. Brown Ales and Porters really benefit from extended bottle conditioning. It really allows the sweetness and carmel notes to mellow and balance out.

I'm also new to brewing. I did pretty much the same thing. It was neat to tast the beer mature over those few weeks. Heck I even took a sip while bottling to see what it tasted like then.

Just curious though why do you let it sit in the fridge for two or three days? Does this do anything?

At lower temperatures it is easier for the CO2 to assimilate into the solution and keeping them in the fridge for a few days before drinking will help with carbonation and increase head retention.

Good advice! Today is my 4 weeks in the bottle day for my Imperial Nut Brown also a BB extract and it is much better today than at week 1, 2, or 3. I enjoyed some along the way, but still have plenty now that it has matured some.

ya i figured i would just taste them every week.. i have plenty, i have a 5 gallon Red Ale from BB (bottled last week) and i also have a 5 gallon German Oktoberfest fermenting at 50deg F. 2nd week. spare fridge is waiting for secondary lager. ::eek:

Back