Newbie late DME addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolyurethaneCow

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a ridiculous question - I am going to try using a late addition of DME and Cane Sugar on a batch, adding half the recipe DME and all the 9 oz of Cane Sugar with 15 mins left in the boil.

My question is about timing with late aroma hop addition - If I'm boiling 90 mins, and adding the second half of the DME and Cane Sugar after 75 mins, it will take approximately 10 minutes or more to get the DME to dissolve, get the pot back up to a boil, get the new DME through another hot break and get all the foam to dissolve away so i can add the aroma hops, which need 10 minutes boil time, correct?

So doesn't that affect the total boil time? or does it? is it not counted? I'm a bit confused about how the technique works, because then i will have been boiling the bittering hops for 75 +10 +15, almost 105 minutes of total boil time. Does that make a difference? Am I making this too complicated?

Every forum i see on here just talks about adding DME at late boil, as if it's instantaneous and the easiest thing in the world, but every time I add DME, its a 10 or 15 minute long nightmare of stirring to break up clumps and foaming and hot breaks.... how do other people deal with that when using a recipe with carefully timed hop schedules? :confused:

Thanks so much for any education anyone can provide!

I do partial boils of 3.5-3.75 gallons in a 5 gallon kettle. I add half a 3lb bag of plain DME for the boil to do all hop additions. Aroma hops are 5 minutes or less. I add the remaining DME at flame out. Since the wort is still boiling hot,the late addition will pasteurize,since it happens at 160F. Cleaner taste & lighter color result.

You don't have to get back up to boiling for the DME and cane sugar. Only need 160F or so to kill any nasties. DME won't go through a hot break, it already did that in the mfg. process.

What I would do for a typical 60 min boil is to add your DME at 20min to go, and reheat. Once you are all dissolved add your hops. Don't worry about the temp, you are likely hot enough and getting hotter. Give the hops 15min from that point and then cool.

I usually like to due late additions with LME instead of DME if I have it in the recipe because of the dissolution issue. That's just my way of doing things.

You don't need to get LME or DME to a boil to pasteurize,it happens in seconds @ 160F. I do late additions at flameout,since it's still boiling hot. Being way above 169F there won't be any problems as long as the extract is at room temp.

I understand. Thanks! Although, i was honestly not as concerned with the sanitation aspect as i was with the foaming/hot break mess, and was wondering how others get around that. Anytime i add DME, i get about 3 inches of foam and more with the hot break, that takes about 10-15 minutes of boiling to make go away. As I can't put aroma hop pellets in, only to ride on 2 inches of foam, until the foam is gone, was just trying to figure out how that works in a recipe where, for instance you have a hop schedule where you add hops say, every 5 minutes for the last 15 or something like that, but are also trying to add 3 lbs of DME for the last 15 mins too....

I have the same problem, and it's a valid concern if you're trying to follow a recipe exactly. What I do is add DME in bit-by-bit and stir continuously so it doesn't clump up. If you do this, you might still have a bunch of foam, but at least it won't be dry DME you're sprinkling your hops onto.

With DME, I don't take it off the burner, and I don't adjust any timings. If I do a 60 minute boil, it's flame out 60 minutes from when the boil started. There's nothing magical about boiling AFAIK other that it means the liquid is as hot as it can get. If adding DME caused the boil to stop, then it probably only fell a few degrees, which doesn't matter much. Yes, a good boil will give you a hot break, and drive off DMS, but as long as that's already happened, I don't see your wort losing a few degrees at the end being a big deal. If you have 30 or 20 minute additions, and add time to the boil to compensate for when it wasn't actually boiling, I imagine it will throw off those additions. If it actually takes 10 minutes to work in DME, and get back to a boil, consider adding the DME over a longer period of time so it doesn't affect the boil so much. All that I really care about is that it's all in there by flameout, and I don't have clumps.

I don't start the timer for the 1 hour boil til the hot break disipates. Then add the bittering addition & start the timer. Plus I dp late extract additions,even with my PB/PM BIAB beers. It won't hurt the partial extract addition at the begining in AE beers to wait till the hot break goes down.

Back