Newbie from Minnesota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CozyCabin

Reaction score
I'm a newbie from Minnesota. I've been wanting to brew for a long time now and finally got started. I have an APA in the primary, and it's a relief to see bubbles in the airlock. I'm just hoping to learn a thing or two here.

I'm a newbie from Minnesota. I've been wanting to brew for a long time now and finally got started. I have an APA in the primary, and it's a relief to see bubbles in the airlock. I'm just hoping to learn a thing or two here.

Welcome! If you don't learn something here, you won't learn it anywhere. :mug:

I'm from northern MN. Back in the sticks. There are a lot of maples on my property that I'm going to tap this spring... down the road I'm going to ask for tips on making a maple ale, but that's a ways off.

Ok. So tonight I moved my APA from my primary to my secondary. When I opened up the primary bucket I wanted to catch a whiff just because... anyway there was a strong smell of alcohol. Surprisingly strong. I'm assuming that's normal? Also it faded quickly.

Either way, I was happy with the color as I siphoned it into my carboy.

Thanks

Welcome from a former Minnesotan. Spent 62 years in the Lake Minnetonka area. Been in Florida for about 15 months and love it.

Btw, why are you using a secondary? Most of us don't use a secondary unless you're adding something.

I'm using a secondary because: I'm new to this so ask I read the recipe/instructions on the kit they said a secondary fermenter will help clear the beer up (of sediment I assume) and help create a "purer" flavor.

So long story short, I really don't know. Just following instructions. Is there a drawback I should be aware of?

I'm using a secondary because: I'm new to this so ask I read the recipe/instructions on the kit they said a secondary fermenter will help clear the beer up (of sediment I assume) and help create a "purer" flavor.

So long story short, I really don't know. Just following instructions. Is there a drawback I should be aware of?

I've heard from the long-time brewers on this forum that transferring to a secondary can allow "nasties" to get in your beer....hence, nasties cause infections. The less exposure to the air and foreign objects will minimize the risk of infections.

Yeah Minneasota representing! Minneapolis here.

Don't worry about the alcohol smell now, let sit and hang out for a bit. If it has a burning alcohol taste when your bottling then you have more of a problem likely due to fermenting at too high of a temperature. But in the meantime try to forget about it until bottling time.

Welcome to the craft!

Yeah Minneasota representing! Minneapolis here.

Don't worry about the alcohol smell now, let sit and hang out for a bit. If it has a burning alcohol taste when your bottling then you have more of a problem likely due to fermenting at too high of a temperature. But in the meantime try to forget about it until bottling time.

Welcome to the craft!

Thanks! I assumed that smell was normal... I should be fine with the fermenting temps for this APA (according to the directions that came with the kit). I have a thermometer right next to the fermenter, which is off the ground, and I've been in the 63-69 degree range. But being new to this, I hope I get corrected if I'm wrong.

As to the possibility of infection... if I only use a primary, how long do I let it sit in the primary to ferment?

If you choose to skip the secondary fermentation you can leave it on the primary for the total time in the direction for both the primary and secondary. If you are doing only primary it helps to strain your wort or to use a hop bag to keep sediment out of it. I've also found it useful to move the carboy a few days before bottling just in case you disturb the yeast cake a little bit.

Move it to the bottling area? Sorry if that is obvious, but being new and all... I appreciate the advice.

Welcome- from Minneapolis, Shhh don't tell enyone I live 5 minutes from Northern Brewer...lhbs.

Latest posts

Back