Newb from Indiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamfan

Reaction score
Hello All, started homebrewing last year, brewed 2 batches, and getting the itch to start my 1st brew of this year. Going with an Oktoberfest Ale, since really enjoyed drinking Oktoberfest's this past fall.

What's up Jam?

I see you are in the Fort, who you be?
Do you belong to MASH? Good to see some locals.

Cheers,
Bob

A bit south of you in Louisville, Welcome!

I did a great PM Marzen(oktoberfest) recently if you are looking for recipes.

Hello Hello! I'm also from IN, but still stuck in Bloomington for a few more months (I can't wait for grad school to be finished - I love IU, but geez after 7 years I feel pretty damn old...). I've been posting for a while but I don't think I've ever made a proper introduction.

I've been brewing for about 2 years, but only made a couple batches last year. I got frustrated with the beers I had been making on the stove top, and needed to expand to really make better beer. I got a large kettle, burner, and a proper chiller (!) for x-mas and have really ramped up production! I've got two batches going now (SNPA clone and a Kolsch), and two more planned out (Fat Tire Clone, w/1792 yeast, and an IIPA Graduation beer).

I'm moving to Chicago later this summer, so I may be back in the kitchen (ugh) - unless we can find an apartment with a large enough deck (my priority #1, but SWMBO might have other ideas) -- anyway welcome to the board, and good to have more hoosiers around!

Ahhhh! Hoosiers are popping up all over!

Tonedef,
MASH is -Mad Anthony Serious Homebrewers-
We meet at Mad Anthony Brewpub on the second Sunday of each month.... i.e. this Sunday, at 3pm in the banquet room (left of the bar).

Mark, you don't have to bring beer. It's enough to show up and learn. It's a great way to meet others with this sickness and taste a variety of beers. It's a good time.

Hey Puma!
There is a chicago area brewers group forum too out on the interwebs...
http://www.free90free.com/peshchat/index.php?sid=0823222b4757563895d147bb94ae1f81

Anyway, good to see more locals on here.
My buddy Denny and I try to brew together when we can. It makes for a good time to get together and brew with others.

Cheers,
Bob

BobG said:
Tonedef,
MASH is -Mad Anthony Serious Homebrewers-
We meet at Mad Anthony Brewpub on the second Sunday of each month.... i.e. this Sunday, at 3pm in the banquet room (left of the bar).
How many of you usually show up and how long do the meets go? This sounds like something I might be interested in attending. I have been very into beer and cooking for years now and finally got homebrewing after wanting to do it for a long time. I think I was born to do this, because I love every aspect of it and can't get enough of it. I am presently working on an AG setup and would love to learn more from some veterans.

Well, I've seen as few as seven and as many as 18. The meetings usually go for a couple of hours. When the meeting is over a few of us hang out and BS.
I'm like you, I love to cook, grill and BBQ and love beer so making it seemed like a natural progression.
I have a ghetto all-grain setup with a turkey fryer, keggle and a Coleman 52 qt. Extreme cooler mash tun. Easy-peasy and low dough!
Maybe the next brewday one of us has we can get together. I love to talk beer and see other's setups.

Bob

BobG said:
Well, I've seen as few as seven and as many as 18. The meetings usually go for a couple of hours. When the meeting is over a few of us hang out and BS.
I'm like you, I love to cook, grill and BBQ and love beer so making it seemed like a natural progression.
I have a ghetto all-grain setup with a turkey fryer, keggle and a Coleman 52 qt. Extreme cooler mash tun. Easy-peasy and low dough!
Maybe the next brewday one of us has we can get together. I love to talk beer and see other's setups.

Bob
Well I will definitly try to make it, if not to this one the next. As for my setup I am still working with stuff I have throw together from my kitchen and a propane fish fry/wok burner/charcoal starter. But am trying to get enough money together to get a proper AG 10 gal setup by sometime this summer.

Cool. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

One of our recent meetings was held at Warbird Brewery. A member of the club works there and Warbird graciously offered to have us out for a meeting. It was very cool. They are interested in beecoming more involved with MASH and may be hosting other meeting or events in the future.

Cheers,
Bob

I lived in Ft Wayne and brewed there for 2 years and had never heard of MASH... now I am living in Indianapolis and hear about it? I should probably get into a club down here, it would be a good way to meet new people in the area with similar interests anyhow!

Looks like I won't be able to make it tomorrow, but next month I will keep it on the calender and do my best to make it.

make it when you can. let me know if there's anything I can help Y'all with.
My buddy and I are brewing Monday morning. He's doing an IPA and I'm doing an American Wheat. Mmm, mmm!

Welcome to the forum! And to brewing! I'm in West Lafayette at Purdue for a few more years of grad school! -cheers

Bummer i was looking forward to meeting some locals today, but something has come up, so i guess i'm gonna have to wait till next month to meet y'all.

BobG said:
Here's the linky for MASH.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mash_fortwayne/

We had a big turnout for the meeting last Sunday. 18 members and around 24 samples. Good stuff.
Keep an eye on the above site as the next meeting may be moved for scheduling reasons.

Bob
So do you guys all bring your own homebrew and try eachothers? Because that sounds awesome.

Yes.
All homebrew except 3 or 4 commercial beers. The commercials included a stout and two 9+% Belgians. We also had two wines, a sweet red and a Port.
You never know what will be there.

Howdy All,

Just a heads-up for locals interested in attending the March Mad Anthony Serious Homebrewers meeting.
Due to Mad Anthony Brewery hosting a chili cookoff on March 9th, the brew club meeting has been moved to Warbird Brewery. The start time is still 3pm.
Warbird brewery is located on the SE corner of Ferguson Road and Bluffton Road. It's the building with the silo out front.
Warbird is gracious enough to support the local homebrewing scene by hosting some meetings and possibly Big Brew '08 in May.
This is a great opportunity to visit the brewery and to join the club.
If anything changes I will post updates.

Cheers,
Bob

Hello,

What a great source of info. I"m ready to start bottling my first batch from the infamous MR BEER. I've got my fingers crossed.

A big thanks to everyone who replied to my questions about MR BEER

Well I missed the meeting again this month, but I am going to set aside the day next month. The next meeting will be on April 13th correct?

Do many of you guys keg? I just bought a large quantity of kegs but don't need all of them and have some left over. I figure if any local guys keg we could help each other out.

Tonedef131 said:
Well I missed the meeting again this month, but I am going to set aside the day next month. The next meeting will be on April 13th correct?

Do many of you guys keg? I just bought a large quantity of kegs but don't need all of them and have some left over. I figure if any local guys keg we could help each other out.

I keg, are these ball-lock style cornies that you bought?
If so, I might be interested in a couple. I'm in NE Fort Wayne.

Ice9 said:
I keg, are these ball-lock style cornies that you bought?
If so, I might be interested in a couple. I'm in NE Fort Wayne.
Yeah, I am on the NE side too. They have all new o-rings in them and I will sell them pressurized. They are not at my house right now but will be by the end of next week. I can send you a PM after they are ready if you like.

Should I just load up my truck with the remaining kegs for the next meeting? I would like to get rid of them fairly soon since they will be crowding my brewing space! I was hoping to get $30 for them since I am going to recondition and pressure test them. But if you guys are going to buy more than one we could work something out. If you are on the north side I could even drop them off if you want.

I was having dinner at Granite City for my moms birthday on Monday. We got to talking about home brew because we were all drinking their Irish Red and the last batch I made was an Irish Red. A fellow named Paul Till from the next table came over and said that he is hosting a brewing class on April 5th at Brewers Art Supply at 11:00AM. I think I am going to go since I am new to AG and that is what he said he will be focusing on. Anyone else going?

Hi Eschatz! Welcome.

Tone, I don't know if I'd drag them all down to Mad Anthony's or not, but maybe come to the meeting, introduce yourself and let everyone know what you have.
I had my AG class with Paul. He's an award winning brewer and he knows his stuff. It's free so what the heck. I learn something new every time I brew.

Bob

Yeah, i missed another meetings as well, seems like everytime i get hyped to attending one of these meetings, something else pops up.

On a better side, i was able to get my 1st brew, brewed this weekend, and would like to start another one, after i transfer primary to secondary/or bottles.

i'm so mad i dont live in fort wayne anymore and i never knew of MASH!

Hello fellow brewers Im just east of Ft. Wayne in Woodburn. been brewing for about three year now.mostly extract until recentley going to a.g. Ive been to one m.a.s.h. meeting and would love to become a regular but I work a rotating swing shift. So as of now the second weekend of the month I working. Anyway, just saying hey and drink on for me.

:mug: Kevin

I did, it was great to meet some people and try Paul's beer. He certainly had some helpful tips and it is always good to see other peoples methods. I think I am going to be able to make it to the meeting next Sunday.

Good to hear that! You learn something new every time. Paul's a good guy and a stickler on sanitation and method.

If you do make it look me up and say "I'm Tonedef"!!

**Just a heads-up**
MASH brew club meeting this Sunday at Mad Anthony's at 3PM.
Also, National Homebrew Day or "BIG BREW" is coming up on Saturday, May 3. It's an international event to promote the art of homebrewing.
http://www.beertown.org/events/bigbrew/
People get together and brew beer, talk beer, drink beer and have a great time. Warbird Brewery is hosting the event and quite a few club members are going to be brewing there that day. If this interests you, stop by the meeting Sunday as this will likely be discussed, or get a hold of me and I can give you the info. We'll need a total of people brewing and people just showing up.

Cheers,
Bob

Latest posts

Back