New to BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted125

Reaction score
I've been extract brewing for about a year and was thinking about Biab, until I can save the money to buy or build a sweet electric all grain system. I have a 15 gallon Blichman kettle and was wondering if anyone uses this vessel for biab. I need some guidance on making a good grain bag and how big of a batch I can do.

Thanks in advance, Ted

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've been extract brewing for about a year and was thinking about Biab, until I can save the money to buy or build a sweet electric all grain system. I have a 15 gallon Blichman kettle and was wondering if anyone uses this vessel for biab. I need some guidance on making a good grain bag and how big of a batch I can do.

Thanks in advance, Ted

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you make your own bag make it big enough to slide over your Blichman, just barely. You don't want it constricting the grains while you are mashing. If you aren't crazy with the amount of water that you boil off, you should be able to handle a 10 gallon batch in the 15 gallon Blichman. The bag of wet grains will be pretty heavy to lift out with just your arms. Many people who do that big of a batch use a pulley fastened to the ceiling or any solid fixture that can be above your kettle, like a tall stepladder. Wilserbrewer, the custom bag maker, also has a ratchet pulley that will let you lift the bag and let it hang without holding the rope. It might be a good investment as would one of his custom fit bags. A number of people who have bought from him praise the strength of the bags.

As far as your batch size you can use a calculator like http://biabcalculator.com to figure out the maximum water and grain combined volume for your kettle. I would say you should be good with any bigger gravity 5 gallon batch with a 15 gallon pot.

Thanks for this post...I am looking at getting a 15g kettle from Spike Brewing and I do mainly 5g batches...however, I might like to do a very rare 10g batch and was hoping a 15 would work on a rare occasion.

If you make your own bag make it big enough to slide over your Blichman, just barely. You don't want it constricting the grains while you are mashing. If you aren't crazy with the amount of water that you boil off, you should be able to handle a 10 gallon batch in the 15 gallon Blichman. The bag of wet grains will be pretty heavy to lift out with just your arms. Many people who do that big of a batch use a pulley fastened to the ceiling or any solid fixture that can be above your kettle, like a tall stepladder. Wilserbrewer, the custom bag maker, also has a ratchet pulley that will let you lift the bag and let it hang without holding the rope. It might be a good investment as would one of his custom fit bags. A number of people who have bought from him praise the strength of the bags.

The bag of wet grains will be pretty heavy to lift out with just your arms. Many people who do that big of a batch use a pulley fastened to the ceiling or any solid fixture that can be above your kettle, like a tall stepladder.

I attached it to the garage door opener rails in my garage. Works like a charm! :ban:

Something tells me we'll be seeing a video of this being done before long. Lol

Back