New Pumps from HF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlager

Reaction score
Has any attempted to use these 110v pumps from Harbor Freight? They are made by Drummond at 54.95. Wondered if they can handle the heat while doing a recirc for BIAB

In the troubleshooting portion of the manual it says do not exceed water temperature of 77 degrees Fahrenheit. I am assuming you are talking about the 1/10 HP transfer pump.

That 77f has to be a typo. I might call the service number during business hours tomorrow. This thing look identical to a little giant pump. It appears to have a brass head so one would hope it would not melt but have no idea what the impeller is made of, perhaps Buna?

I have never seen any pump listed as sanitary unless it had a 1000.00 price tag associated to it. Personally I have never seen a pump sold specifically for brewing that was considered sanitary, unless you are moving up to commercial. The only thing we need be concerned about is can it be sanitized and preferably clean in place ( caustic wash and star san) Many if all people have already incorporated that in to their brewing regimen. Most importantly, can it take the heat of a BIAB recirc along with a whirlpool. I would imagine or hope the impeller is made from Buna or better, which is what the dairy systems utilize.

It says "not for use for fuel, or o flammable liquids". It probably has a rubber impeller directly mounted to the motor shaft. I've used such a pump for moving diesel, but gasoline would be a pretty terrible idea.

In a "clean" pump, the impeller and pump housing are full segregated from the motor, and the impeller is driven magnetically. That is why most of our brew pumps are useless for building much pressure.

This might be fine as a pump for CIP, but you'd want to find out what the materials are and if they can handle the cleaners/sanitizers in use. I wouldn't use it as a recirc pump on my brew.

That temp restriction has to be a typo - I would guess it was supposed to be 77C.

You can find DC pumps on ebay that can handle the temp for like 25 bucks. They only move 2-3 gpm, but that's all you need for herms.

It says "not for use for fuel, or o flammable liquids". It probably has a rubber impeller directly mounted to the motor shaft. I've used such a pump for moving diesel, but gasoline would be a pretty terrible idea.

In a "clean" pump, the impeller and pump housing are full segregated from the motor, and the impeller is driven magnetically. That is why most of our brew pumps are useless for building much pressure.

This might be fine as a pump for CIP, but you'd want to find out what the materials are and if they can handle the cleaners/sanitizers in use. I wouldn't use it as a recirc pump on my brew.

That temp restriction has to be a typo - I would guess it was supposed to be 77C.

You can find DC pumps on ebay that can handle the temp for like 25 bucks. They only move 2-3 gpm, but that's all you need for herms.

The manual states the following:

"The Pump is designed for use with water with a maximum temperature of 77° F (25°C)". I don't think it is a typo.

Get one of the cheap tan pumps if you are just wanting to get started. Otherwise spring for a Chugger or Marsh.

Correct, the pump has a rubber impeller. I have one I use to transfer water from my systerns

I think this may be the best value. The MKII Pump from Keg King is a magnetic drive high temperature pump capable of pumping hot wort at temperatures of up to 248° F and it costs about 70 dollars, for an extra 29 you can get a SS pump housing.

I was at HFT today and took a look at the pump. It has a metal head and looks to be a good pump, for what it is designed for. Without a magnetic impeller i probably would skip it due to the rubber pump wheel.

Latest posts

Back