New Homebrewer in So.Cal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkuterB

Reaction score
hey , new homebrewer here and I have some questions. First brew was an IPA. Boiling the wort process went flawless, 1 full week in Primary (no more bubbles in airlock), 1 full week in Secondary, bottling day seemed to go flawless also. Two full weeks in bottles before I chilled in fridge. Results of good carbonation, great amber color, wonderful hoppy aroma, and a great first taste, that is until you swallow and let your palate take it all in ... I am left with (yeasty) aftertaste. I should say, the aftertaste tastes like what yeast smells like. It is not the Hoppy bitter aftertaste I was hoping for. Can anyone give me an idea of what or where I might have gone wrong? I have been told to let it age longer. Can I take the bottles out of the fridge and re box them in the cases for another month or so ...or can I just leave them in the fridge to age?

How long was it in the fridge before you drank it? Did you properly decant off the yeast and into a glass?

If they need more time, you can pull them out of the fridge and warm them up. It won't hurt a thing.

Thanks for the response... still unsure as to how all this works as well, but I'm figuring it out too. My beer was only in the fridge cooling about 24 hrs. before I tried it. Secondly , no I probably did not decant the yeast sediment in the bottle when pouring. Upon, your suggestion, I did remove them from the fridge, boxed them back up and will let them age for another 3 wks or so. Thanks for your help.

Back