New brewing fool in Kentucky.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't have to be a bar, nice restaurants in the area that still serve. I'm good with a meetup to joint brew though as well, I can probably even host as long as no one gets toooo drunk, wife and kids..... Im on a lake too, so we can fish while we make some beer.

if nothing else, we need to buy grain in bulk together (those that are doing AG). Im seeing people say that they are paying ~30 for 50lb bags that way, and id love to get that type of price. ive been sorta looking around to find a grain elevator in the area, im sure there are a few. Saw Sligo feed mill online the other day and havent had a chance to call and see if i can get grain there but if so its 15 min drive, less than the closest lhbs to me
keep in mind that you want barley *malt*, not just straight barley. Not sure if a feed & seed would necessarily carry the stuff. I don't think that malt is used as animal feed, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for mentioning that, that's one reason I want to call. When searching on the subject Ive have seen people post and say that feed stores will often carry what brewers are looking for if you can get it before they add feed ingredients to it. I just did a search for grain elevators in oldham county ky and that was one of the first hits.

Either way, I'd like to find a local source and purchase In bulk.

Thanks for mentioning that, that's one reason I want to call. When searching on the subject Ive have seen people post and say that feed stores will often carry what brewers are looking for if you can get it before they add feed ingredients to it. I just did a search for grain elevators in oldham county ky and that was one of the first hits.

Either way, I'd like to find a local source and purchase In bulk.

Have you been down to see Paul at MOKHB on Story Avenue in Louisville? He carries 50lb bags of malt. He (obviously) also sells in smaller quantities, and has a mill in store. Its not a huge place, but he seems to have a decent stock and pretty good prices for what I've had time to compare to online sources.

I've only been there twice so far, but I know the owner (Paul) and he's a decent chap. He happened to be the guy that bought my old house in Germantown :D.

Doesn't have to be a bar, nice restaurants in the area that still serve. I'm good with a meetup to joint brew though as well, I can probably even host as long as no one gets toooo drunk, wife and kids..... Im on a lake too, so we can fish while we make some beer.

True. I would host a joint brew, but I don't even have a decent stock pot or fermenter bigger than 3gal yet... :eek:

I'm hoping to rectify both of those things soon, but money is not flowing uber freely at the moment. I need to unload some of this unused aquarium stuff soon...

Have you been down to see Paul at MOKHB on Story Avenue in Louisville? He carries 50lb bags of malt. He (obviously) also sells in smaller quantities, and has a mill in store. Its not a huge place, but he seems to have a decent stock and pretty good prices for what I've had time to compare to online sources.

I've only been there twice so far, but I know the owner (Paul) and he's a decent chap. He happened to be the guy that bought my old house in Germantown :D.

ive been there, and the prices are pretty close to the lhbs off westport road. I would really like to cut that price in half by getting grain in bulk with a few others who are interested.

True. I would host a joint brew, but I don't even have a decent stock pot or fermenter bigger than 3gal yet... :eek:

I'm hoping to rectify both of those things soon, but money is not flowing uber freely at the moment. I need to unload some of this unused aquarium stuff soon...

yep i probably wouldnt be able to host till after july got too much going on the next couple months, but id like to meet some brewers close to me before then, even if just getting together in crestwood or lagrange for a few drinks at a restaurant like the irish rover.

ive been there, and the prices are pretty close to the lhbs off westport road. I would really like to cut that price in half by getting grain in bulk with a few others who are interested.

Yeah. I wish the westport road store was open later on weekdays. I'd like to be able to stop by after work to pick up ingredients. As it is, I either have to go by on the weekends, or drive all the way downtown to get them.

At this point, I don't have any real reason to buy more than a few lb's of grain at a time, but hopefully in another few weeks I'll be trying my first PM BIAB. If I do, I'll be buying more grain later this summer :).

I would also be interested in just meeting up to meet other HB'ers in the area. Like I said, I only know 2 others in person. One is my best friend from HS who is also a noob, and the other is the owner of the LHBS.

Maybe we could do a meetup out at Irish Rover 2, Beef O'Brady's, or even El Acapulco some time.

Let me know what kinds you're wanting to get, what quantities, and how much, and we can start figuring out when/where to buy them. I can pick up a few HD/Lowes buckets or Walmart dog food containers to store it in until I can use it...

Let me know what kinds you're wanting to get, what quantities, and how much, and we can start figuring out when/where to buy them. I can pick up a few HD/Lowes buckets or Walmart dog food containers to store it in until I can use it...

gotta find a good source, but i figure its KY so it cant be that hard to find one. Im thinking mostly 2row and wheat, 2row is a staple in 99% of the beers out there and i like wheat beers :) Ill pm you once i find somewhere.

Back