New brewing fool in Kentucky.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedIdiot

Reaction score
I've been lurking for about a month now, but I've gotten addicted enough to the site that I've decided to join. Free member for now, but hopefully I can become a paying member eventually.

I have just recently gotten into home-brewing. I got a Mr. Beer kit for my birthday in February from my sister-in-law. Little did she know the monster she would unleash...

I brewed my first batch sometime in March, after we got settled into our new house (closed the weekend before said birthday). My first batch was a Red Ale HME, with an Amber Ale UME, and a packet of booster (which I shall never use again). I fermented for just under 4 weeks, then bottled, left for 10 days in the bottles, then stuck in the fridge. I only gave them about 4 days before I started cracking them open, and now I wish I could have waited a little longer. While they did taste very good after 4 days of chilling, every bottle I have opened since then has tasted even better. I'm now down to just 3 bottles left in my fridge (out of 24), and am super bummed, because my next batch won't be ready to drink for at least 3-5 more weeks.

I brewed that batch one night after getting home from work. I liked the process so much, that I got online and ordered another fermenter, 3 more extract kits, and some other supplies.

I've since brewed 2 more batches with the Mr. Beer kits, and have 2 more kits left to use. However, I've decided to upgrade.

I just scored a pair of 5 gallon kegs with hand taps, for free! I am already looking for a used CO2 tank and regulator, and I will be getting a different tap set to use as well.

I also picked up a pair of 3 gallon ported Better Bottles from my LHBS for $10 each. Unfortunately, I now have to buy the racking ports, which are like $35 each, to be able to use them (unless someone has a better suggestion for the ports?).

I will probably be picking up a couple of 5 or 6 gallon carboys over the next few weeks if I can. Not sure on glass or BB yet, but a lot of the BB proponents seem to really like the weight and safety pro's of the BB's.

Anyways, sorry for the long intro post! I really didn't think I had that much to say yet. I hope to learn a LOT from this website, as you guys seem to know more about home-brewing than I could ever learn.

Nice to meet ya,
Conner

welcome, conner, to the best/most obsessive hobby you'll ever have.

the missus is from KY, so i have a personal mission to greet every colonel who comes through these parts.

Anyways, sorry for the long intro post! I really didn't think I had that much to say yet. I hope to learn a LOT from this website, as you guys seem to know more about home-brewing than I could ever learn.
take this as a good sign: you're becoming obsessed, but you're aware enough to not foist your obsession on the people around you - so you're spending a lot of time here. that's what we're here for... think of this forum as "support group" :mug:

Thanks for the welcome!

I also forgot to mention that I ordered 4 varieties of hops rhizomes to plant (2 rhizomes of each variety) in my backyard. Hoping to get a good amount of base hops for brewing, and then I can just order other hops as I need in small quantity.

I got Cascade, Centennial, Newport, and Nugget rhizomes.

solid selection there. in future years you could look into adding some european varieties, like a noble hop or something english. but that's a damn fine foursome to start with.

Thanks, that's what I thought when I picked them. I have to say, Freshops had a nice selection (back when I ordered), good prices, and shipped fast!

Once these take off, and I get to a point where I'm all-grain brewing, then I might look into adding a few more varieties. I still have a lot of fence line left to plang ;).

I have seen quiet a few Louisville brewers popping up here. Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! I only know of 2 other brewers in/around Louisville (now 3, I guess). One is one of my best friends since high school. The other is the owner of one of the LHBS's in town...

Another here!

The local craft beer scene is booming here too.

Cumberland has been the most recent to earn my respect.

Are any of you all part of the LAGER homebrew club? I'm thinking about joining but I'm not really sure where to start. Do I just show up at a meeting?

I went to a couple meetings but to be honest, everyone was quite a bit older than me and I didn't really mesh. I'm 28, I was probably 24 or so when I went. Nice people, same with the FOSSILS over in Indiana but not really my age group.

I haven't gone to any of the club meetings yet. I've thought about it, to try to meet some local HB's, but I wanted to get my feet a little wetter first.

Plus, I found this website, so it made it a little less of a need to find some other guys to talk to.

I'm 30, by the way, so we're right in the same ballpark.

Are any of you all part of the LAGER homebrew club? I'm thinking about joining but I'm not really sure where to start. Do I just show up at a meeting?

I think you basically just show up at a meeting, and then they'll help you decide if its something you want to be a part of. But I haven't been yet, so I'm not really sure.

I was just curious because none of my friends are homebrewers and they are getting tired of hearing me talk about beer.

I was just curious because none of my friends are homebrewers and they are getting tired of hearing me talk about beer.

Heh. My best friend just got into home-brewing at the same time I did, and we've both had one finished batch so far. We're kind of working along the same lines, although he jumped right into a 5g kit and is doing extract with specialty grains, while I'm just doing extract with a Mr. Beer kit (for now).

The rest of my friends haven't been bashed over the head long enough to be bothered by it yet. And so far they've liked the batch I produced...

Hah, I guess we need to start up a LAGERS 30 & under group. I'm always up for meeting up for beers somewhere and if you guys aren't serial killers I can always host a brew day at my house. I do all grain 4-5 hour brew days.

+1 to the LAGER 30 and under haha. I'm always down for brewing with other people. I do all grain as well and normally average around 5-6 hour days depending on how long the boil is.

Man, you guys make me feel bad. All-extract brewer at the moment, I'm usually done (from prep through in the fermenter) in less than 45 minutes...

I lived in Louisville (St Matthews, then the Highlands) for a few years- great town! I miss Bluegrass Brewing's "Dark Star" porter among others. Also, there was a place on Bardstown Rd that used to brew great beers (forgot the name). I get back there from time to time, but it has really changed. Even Cherokee park looks different than it did 10 years ago. I barely recognize some parts of town anymore.

BeardedIdiot said:
Man, you guys make me feel bad. All-extract brewer at the moment, I'm usually done (from prep through in the fermenter) in less than 45 minutes...

Don't feel bad. I liked extract and then PG while I did it. AG just make me feel like I control it from beginning to end, so when they taste great I can say "I made that" and when they taste bad I can say " crap I can't believe I made that"! I have a habit of throwing myself into my hobbies 100% regardless of cost.

BeardedIdiot said:

I really enjoy the lengthy brew days because I normally just brew alone and its pretty relaxing to me. Extract is faster and can produce some great beers but with all grain I just like having control over every little aspect of the beer.

I lived in Louisville (St Matthews, then the Highlands) for a few years- great town! I miss Bluegrass Brewing's "Dark Star" porter among others. Also, there was a place on Bardstown Rd that used to brew great beers (forgot the name). I get back there from time to time, but it has really changed. Even Cherokee park looks different than it did 10 years ago. I barely recognize some parts of town anymore.

BBC's dark star porter is one of their better beers along with the bourbon barrel stout. I'm wondering if the the place on Bardstown Rd that your thinking about is Cumberland Brewery. They have some pretty good beers as well as some Damn good fish tacos haha.

Don't feel bad. I liked extract and then PG while I did it. AG just make me feel like I control it from beginning to end, so when they taste great I can say "I made that" and when they taste bad I can say " crap I can't believe I made that"! I have a habit of throwing myself into my hobbies 100% regardless of cost.

Ditto on hobbies. My hobby obsession for the last 5 year or so has been aquariums, and I've got quite a bit sunk into that. Now I'm getting into brewing, and my wife's like "so you're done with fish now, and you're going to sell them to support your brewing?".

not so sure about that... maybe get rid of some stuff I'm not using, but who says we can only have one hobby!

I definitely want to start doing some PM brewing, probably BIAB style so I don't have to buy too much equipment. I'll need some larger cook pots, and a 5g carboy or two, but that's about it.

I am already experimenting with the extract kits I DO have. I added cinnamon and brown sugar to an Octoberfest Vienna lager (fermenting now), and I'm going to do a pale ale with cherries, some DME, and some dry hopping hopefully this weekend. I do love to experiment...

You can start BIAB with almost nothing extra, and still stick to smaller batches till you get some bigger carboys/cook pots. I started with a 3gal pot from Walmart that cost probably $15 and a paint straining bag from lowes that was ~$3. Should do some easy PG for Mr. Beer sized equipment and your 3gal bottles

I know, I just need to pick up a bigger pot. I'm planning on running by Walmart this weekend and seeing what they've got that I can use. We have a couple ~2-3gal pots at home (haven't actually measured), but I want to start collecting some things for solely brewing use.

I know, I just need to pick up a bigger pot. I'm planning on running by Walmart this weekend and seeing what they've got that I can use. We have a couple ~2-3gal pots at home (haven't actually measured), but I want to start collecting some things for solely brewing use.

I got a ten gallon pot for $70 from a kitchen supply store called Dine on Preston Highway, you might want to check there and see if they have something the size your looking for.

I've always wanted to stop in Dine, but never got to when I lived nearby (used to live in Germantown). I'm out in Oldham County now, and I don't work in town, so I don't know if I can get by there anytime soon.

Walmart had a nice 22 qt canning pot for $19, but it says not to use on glass-top stoves, which i have. They also had a pretty nice 16 qt tri-ply pot, but if I'm gonna spend $45-50 on a pot, I want it to be at least 24-30 qts.

I am going to stop by Sam's club on the way home, since I know they have a lot of bulk kitchen stuff. I know they have some nice pots, I've just never paid attention to the sizes/prices before.

Oldham county here.

Old stoves and turkey burners are better for brewing.

Glass tops require almost air tight contact, and your loved and used brewpot will not be so. It will still heat, but none too efficiently.

I got a 9gallon for 50 from amazon, free shipping with prime membership. 9 gal is almost too small though for a 90 min boil on a 6 gal batch, I'd recommend looking for a used keg cheap somewhere and getting a turkey fryer. Better to buy big now so you don't have to buy again when you move up (and you will I'd bet)

All these people brewing in oldham county, we really do need a LAGERS club out here!

Oldham county here.

Old stoves and turkey burners are better for brewing.

Glass tops require almost air tight contact, and your loved and used brewpot will not be so. It will still heat, but none too efficiently.

I'm not quite ready to go to that level (financially or otherwise) unfortunately.

I got a 9gallon for 50 from amazon, free shipping with prime membership. 9 gal is almost too small though for a 90 min boil on a 6 gal batch, I'd recommend looking for a used keg cheap somewhere and getting a turkey fryer. Better to buy big now so you don't have to buy again when you move up (and you will I'd bet)

All these people brewing in oldham county, we really do need a LAGERS club out here!

We do need an OC club to get started...

I stopped by Sam's Club, and they sell a NICE 24 qt aluminum (3004) stock pot for $35, and the same pot in 16 qt for $29. I think I may end up buying both of those. I figure between a 6gal and 4gal pot, I ought to be able to do most of what I want to for the next couple of months, if not years...

I'm also going on Saturday to this shop to see if they have some used 20# co2 tanks left for $50. Hopefully he still has the 2 left in stock when I get there...

if nothing else, we need to buy grain in bulk together (those that are doing AG). Im seeing people say that they are paying ~30 for 50lb bags that way, and id love to get that type of price. ive been sorta looking around to find a grain elevator in the area, im sure there are a few. Saw Sligo feed mill online the other day and havent had a chance to call and see if i can get grain there but if so its 15 min drive, less than the closest lhbs to me

\
I'm also going on Saturday to this shop to see if they have some used 20# co2 tanks left for $50. Hopefully he still has the 2 left in stock when I get there...

might just check welders supply down by the fairgrounds. last time i was there they had a ton of co2 tanks around and looked they might sell or rent them pretty cheap. you probably dont need a 20# tank (if you are trying to save money), i have a 5 lb tank and have probably gone though 10-20 5gal kegs on it so far.

if nothing else, we need to buy grain in bulk together (those that are doing AG). Im seeing people say that they are paying ~30 for 50lb bags that way, and id love to get that type of price. ive been sorta looking around to find a grain elevator in the area, im sure there are a few. Saw Sligo feed mill online the other day and havent had a chance to call and see if i can get grain there but if so its 15 min drive, less than the closest lhbs to me

I could definitely be down with buying bulk grain together to lower costs. I know I'll want to get into AG eventually, and I'm am planning to start trying PM BIAB (once I get a larger carboy and stock pot) pretty soon.

As far as the CO2 tank, I used to have a 20lb tank for my aquariums (ran CO2 for increased plant growth), and it seems like anything smaller is just a toy. But I'm just going up to look at those because he's the only guy on craigslist who's bothered to respond to me for 2 weeks...

good name! where and when to meet is the next question!

Well, unfortunately we're a dry (actually moist) county. The closest bar to me is New Directions. It sounds like a gay bar, honestly, but the few times I've been there, its mostly full of OC rednecks.

I'd think that to start it would be best to maybe start with things like joint brew days?

Back