New Brew stand, need burner help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.brewershardware.com/10-Temperature-Sensor-LOVE-TS-with-M8-Disconnect-Cable.html

I Built mine but this is the same exact system for cheeper than I built it!!!!!!! Same cord and same sensor. Lame!!!!!!!

haha...thanks for the link. so do you have something that all of these connect into and then one main cord that runs to the panel? The cords seem too short to do a full run each. or did you just make yours to length? Did you install these in the keggles in just a normal hole or use something to protect them? 20 questions continue!!

No worries!!!
First I would e-mail the person selling the temp probe in the previous post and find out how long the cords R, the ones I could find, that I used with my Keggles, were 5 meters or around 15 feet. That was plenty long enought to wire the length to the panel. if to short just cut and splice, it doesnt have to be pretty most of the wiring in inside the tubing!!!:tank:

Question #2:
I had a 1/2" coupler tig welded into the keggle for a sight glass, or you can use a 1/2" weldless coupler. I used a stainless steel 1/2" T fitting as seen here
DSC02875.JPG

I used a 1/2" thread x 3/8" compression fitting and a 3/8" OD plastic pipe that the temp probe would fit into, Just found it around the house.
DSC02860.JPG

This is how it goes together, just rember there is a probe in the plastic tube, I don't have another probe for demostration:
DSC02862.JPG

DSC02864.JPG

DSC02868.JPG

DSC02871.JPG

DSC02872.JPG

Once you tighten up the compression fitting it sinches down on the plastic tube and probe, which then makes the probe water tight.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks!!!!!:mug:

thank you so much for posting the pics with description. that is friggin awesome. I completely understand how it goes now. you've been not only a motivator but the guidance you've given to the questions is awesome.

THANKS!!!! :mug:

Got the tri-clovers installed on all the keggles today:
Hot Water:
DSC02894.JPG

DSC02892.JPG

The Grain Keggle I also made and installed a SS Sparging Ring:

DSC02895.JPG

DSC02889.JPG

DSC02888.JPG

DSC02890.JPG

Boiling Keggle:

DSC02896.JPG

DSC02891.JPG

Just waiting in another 7' of silicone tubing and I shoule be ready to brew!!!!!!!!!:mug:

DSC02893.JPG

Is that a HH140? I got one, too. I love that welder.
I'm thinking of welding together a control box, too. Good idea!
I like how you plumbed across the front for easy access to the valves. I'll probably do that, too.
Thank you for posting the tutorial for the sightglassandprobe combination. I'll have the same thing on mine.

Excellent work on the brewstand. She's a beaut, man.

shawn, first time poster here, long time listener...question about your gas lines and such. i see your spreadsheet about the ss gas lines here and was wondering where you got the ss lines (yellow) and what regulator you settled with. your rig is the inspiration for mine, so i'm trying my best to copy it, but cannot figure out the hose. also, thanks for the postings! cheers!

Could you tell me really quick where you got your temperature probes and what make/model they are? trying to set up a recirculating mash. thanks man

shawn, first time poster here, long time listener...question about your gas lines and such. i see your spreadsheet about the ss gas lines here and was wondering where you got the ss lines (yellow) and what regulator you settled with. your rig is the inspiration for mine, so i'm trying my best to copy it, but cannot figure out the hose. also, thanks for the postings! cheers!

The gas lines are from Home Depot in the hot water department. Next the regulator is a 0-20psi or 0-15psi Brinkman off an old turkey fryer I had at home, see the picture below. I bought a fixed 30psi regulator but it kept freezing up. Thanks for the post let me know if I can help with anything else.:mug:

DSC02922.JPG

:tank:

I asked this several posts back...

he built his probes but they are these same ones:

http://www.brewershardware.com/10-Temperature-Sensor-LOVE-TS-with-M8-Disconnect-Cable.html

I also built it with the 6" SS but I am going to buy the 10" or 12" because I can leave part of the probe out past the SS Compression fitting to help keep the cord a little farther away from the brew stand. The cord gets a little hot.

This is the one I think I am going to buy: http://www.brewershardware.com/12-Temperature-Sensor-LOVE-TS-with-M8-Disconnect-Cable.html

:mug:

Getting ready to brew my first batch of Red Ale Tuesday, I made my first label for it; what do you think???

Beer%20label%20Finish%20clear.jpg

buring my first brew we found a few electrical problems that I tore into yesterday and this is what I found
IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

:drunk:

So I am going to rewire the rig, and relocate the control panel arm to the lower part of the stand. This will keep the wiring away from the hot part of the stand!!!!!!

DSC02802.JPG

DSC02803.JPG

DSC02804.JPG

DSC02806.JPG

DSC02805.JPG

hey shawn...i'm back to badger again :)

i've been working with my dad on my rig....i've looked at several wind screen kind of things. you don't happen to have the measurements for your diagonals where the keggles sit do ya? they seem to serve as a screen and a hey that keggle slid to the left an inch and didnt fall in!

M

Well productive weekend, I changed the arm so it is well away from the heat and created a heat shield to divert the heat away from the arm. This should take care of the problem. Also I added a cord wined on the arm to take care of the power cord when not in use. Check it out:ban:
DSC02938.JPG

DSC02944.JPG

DSC02941.JPG

DSC02945.JPG

DSC02946.JPG

DSC02947.JPG

DSC02942.JPG

Well moved the control pannel arm to provent melting, ran through a few fire test and works great. Grain is on the way, next weekend a pale ale will be birthed!!!!!!:ban:
DSC02988.JPG

DSC02991.JPG

DSC02992.JPG

I just spent most of my time this morning reading this and now I'm running late to work! D@%* it! Lol......

In all seriousness, this is awesome man! Great work.

Fire up the burners!!! There is a wheat beer to be born tomorrow!!!!:ban:

IMG_1418.JP

MADE A NEW MASH PADDLE TODAY:tank:

IMG_1417.JPG

subscribing!

As if my day job isn't an expensive enough hobby (builder), now I've got to build a Brutus.

Thank you for the inspirational and detailed build thread, it's helped with a lot of my questions.

Next step, buy a welder...

ok, I need more help, My mash draining sucks!!!! I have a 15" false bottom with a 3/8" pickup tube. I just orders a 1/2" pickup tube but was wondering if there is something more I can do. Thanks so much for your help, Shawn

I think my pickup tub was way to close to the bottom so i am going to shorten the new 1/2" tube by an inch or so. that should give it plenty of space between the bottom and the bottom of the pickup tube. we will see if that will helps

S,
I had problems with my pick-up tube at first. You just want it about a 1/4 from the bottom. The main thing is that from your coupler to the 90 degree bend down must be a little down hill. If the 90 degree bend is sorta above the coupler it will get an air bubble in it and cause siphon problems, real PITA.

Wow, I didn't think of that, I will make sure of it, Thanks a ton for the information!!!!! :mug:

I just read through this build thread and now need to change my pants.

*cues the lonely Island song*

beautiful build I love to the two tone paint job as well.

-=Jason=-

S,
I had problems with my pick-up tube at first. You just want it about a 1/4 from the bottom. The main thing is that from your coupler to the 90 degree bend down must be a little down hill. If the 90 degree bend is sorta above the coupler it will get an air bubble in it and cause siphon problems, real PITA.

+1 to that!

I had the exact same problem, except much worse. I had such a slow drain, didn't notice at first, and burned the wort! :eek:

I just read through this build thread and now need to change my pants.

*cues the lonely Island song*

beautiful build I love to the two tone paint job as well.

-=Jason=-

Thanks it has been a giant learning curve, but the stand performs outstandingly!!!! I love it and can finely say I wouldn't change a thing!!!! :mug:

+1 to that!

I had the exact same problem, except much worse. I had such a slow drain, didn't notice at first, and burned the wort! :eek:

I ended up dumping 10gallons of wheat beer because it burned!!!! I think with the 1/2" dip, keeping the dip tube an inch or so off the bottom, and paying attention to the angle of the dip tube I will finely have it dialed in. I have more grain on the way :ban: we will see. Thanks :mug:

Shawn and Earthbound,

Once the strike water is up to temp with the big flame on your burner, go to the ball valve connected to the gas valve and adjust it to lower the flame to about 1/2 inch high. You don't need a huge flame for the mash. I have been doing this and it makes for a smooth easily controlled temp infusion. No wild over temps when the burner kicks on and off.

Bartman

Cool thank you. I hardly even need to fire on my mash but when I do I will give that a shot. It just took so much time to get it out of the pot that it cooled off. I hope I have that fixed!!! We will see soon!!!

No cutting them out, the background is clear and they are printed on a clear label stock

Back