Never had a NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d say try not to view the ingredients of beer in such a 1-dimensional way and focus a bit more on how they get used, e.g. proportionally to one another, to produce what most people consider to be a beer. Ironically, that’s partly why craft beer risks being reduced to hazy hop cocktails. Say we want to make something like self-raising flour. The recipe is about a cup of all-purpose flour, 1.5 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt. If we keep adding more and more salt, without increasing the other ingredients proportionally, at some point we stop making self-raising flour, even though the ingredients are the same as used for making self-raising flour. See?

What does that have to do with beer and hazy hop cocktails? I certainly wouldn’t reduce people to ‘ingredients’ or judge them regardless. I find people generally more important than cocktails, tbh. Note too that many unfortunate people have disabilities because they aren’t made of the same ‘ingredients’. That’s what a disability is, by definition.
Not reducing or judging at all. We are all just ingredients that make up a final product. It parallels beer perfectly. Ingredients in, final product out. NEIPAs are, by definition, beer. There is no wiggle room. At all.

maxresdefault.jpg

Not reducing or judging at all. We are all just ingredients that make up a final product. It parallels beer perfectly. Ingredients in, final product out. NEIPAs are, by definition, beer. There is no wiggle room. At all.
Living things don’t work as simple as that, though. Viewing living things as just ‘ingredients’ ignores so much. I don’t accept your logic here.

Living things don’t work as simple as that, though. Viewing living things as just ‘ingredients’ ignores so much. I don’t accept your logic here.
But beer is a living, evolving thing.

Anyways, I'm done. Going to brew up a NEIPA beer. Which the rest of the World, except you, acknowledges and accepts as real beer. Maybe I'll name it "DDH Real Hazy Beer" 🤔

I'm willing to ship you one 😁

But beer is a living, evolving thing.
Technically, apart from the yeast, no, beer isn't really a living thing. Nor are hazy hop cocktails, in case you were wondering. Organic therefore variable, but not a living thing as such.

Coconut Banger Sour Double New England IPA​

"Back after a year long hiatus, one of our favorite fruited sour concoctions ever. Based off the island tiki rum drink called a PAINKILLER, we soured this double NEIPA grain bill and conditioned it on milk sugar, ground nutmeg, toasted coconut, Madagascar vanilla beans, blackstrap molasses, and hundreds of pounds of pineapple and tangerine puree. The result is a thick, sweet and sour tropical drink that is absolutely ridiculous."

:p

I found a local "taproom" that has a NEIPA on tap. It also has this:

Strawberry Rhubarb Sour - Fruited Berliner Weisse
6% ABV Untitled Art Waunakee, WI Rated 4.0 out of 5 on Untappd

Berliner Weisse-style ale with strawberry puree, rhubarb purée, cinnamon, vanilla and graham cracker.
So did they put Graham crackers in beer with rhubarb? Seriously?

I saw some beer listed as "crushable." What? I just want to drink it.

I found a local "taproom" that has a NEIPA on tap. It also has this:

So did they put Graham crackers in beer with rhubarb? Seriously?

I saw some beer listed as "crushable." What? I just want to drink it.
Hardly surprising, is it? That weiss beers have seen a little resurgence in interest in recent years. Atypical yeast that behave different from ale and lager yeasts and lots of wheat in the recipes. But still nowhere as extreme as your genuine hazy hop cocktails. Cherry-picking weiss beer, especially a fruity weiss cocktail, doesn't legitimise a beer subcategory for hazies. I'm not buying it. Must try harder.

I can't tell if they actually put that stuff in there, or they're just describing the flavor.
"Based off the island tiki rum drink called a PAINKILLER, we soured this double NEIPA grain bill and conditioned it on milk sugar, ground nutmeg, toasted coconut, Madagascar vanilla beans, blackstrap molasses, and hundreds of pounds of pineapple and tangerine puree."

I think I feel like Germans feel when they hear about every beer brewed anywhere else.

NEIN! NEIN!!!!
The Germans make way better beer than weiss. Weiss beers are an acquired taste, even in Germany. Not really my thing either, tbh.

Does it make anyone like extreme hopped beer more when it is clear or just same not beer thoughts?

Attachments

• 20240127_213932.jpg
    20240127_213932.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Does it make anyone like extreme hopped beer more when it is clear or just same not beer thoughts?
The issue to me is that they are like 5 IBU. But that's an issue of taste; IMO it's really strange beer, like a Flemish sour. I find it more offensive to call it an IPA when it's 5% ABV and 5 IBU, but we've established that words have no meaning. (Get off my lawn.)

You could hand me purple beer and I'd drink it if it tasted good. But I like malt, and I have an aesthetic preference for balanced flavors.

Plenty of people clearly disagree.

The issue to me is that they are like 5 IBU.
What are you referring to? Hazy IPAs? Hang on a tick...

[Hey! Did everyone know you can add 'Est ABV' and 'IBUs' columns to Beersmith's recipe listing and sort on them? Cool! ]

OK. I brew 9 different NEIPAs, with IBUs on paper ranging from 44 IBUs ("Fantastic Haze" clone) to 95 IBUs ("Focal Banger" clone) with most between 55 to 65 IBUs. ABV ranges from 7.3% to 8.9%

Meanwhile, my 7 WCIPAs range from 40 IBUs to 105 IBUs with most between 65 to 85. ABV ranges from 6.1% to 9.7%.

Not all that different...

Cheers!

It does help present, balance and stabilise other attributes of beer quality. Bright beer, that is. Even in traditional English IPAs and clear American craft IPAs. It’s mainly the 1-dimensional - almost schoolboy-like - obsession with dry hopping more than anyone else that doesn’t appreciate the finer qualities of beer. Some prefer to be more adventurous and make something else, which is fine by me.

OK. I brew 9 different NEIPAs, with IBUs on paper ranging from 44 IBUs ("Fantastic Haze" clone) to 95 IBUs ("Focal Banger" clone) with most between 55 to 65 IBUs. ABV ranges from 7.3% to 8.9%
I haven't looked at recipes; everything I tasted was on tap at various places. On paper there may be higher IBUs, or perhaps I hit a bunch of outliers, but what I got was a bizarre combo of hop smell with no bitterness. It was all (slight) acid and sweet. That's why it made me think of orange juice.

edit: It's possible I'm also confusing styles. Are hazy IPA and NEIPA different things? I may not be hip to the lingo.

Last edited:
Are hazy IPA and NEIPA different things
Pretty much the same thing. However the use of different hops can take you away from orange/grapefruit juice to dank, tropical, exotic fruit and other avenues depending on hop choices. I had one that was hitting garlic big time and was one of the most different beers I've ever drank. I couldn't decide if I hated it or not because I like garlic. LOL.

Pretty much the same thing. However the use of different hops can take you away from orange/grapefruit juice to dank, tropical, exotic fruit and other avenues depending on hop choices. I had one that was hitting garlic big time and was one of the most different beers I've ever drank. I couldn't decide if I hated it or not because I like garlic. LOL.
I did the same thing. I had a "dank" hazy and did not really care for it. I drank it, yep, cause I paid for it. LOL. But not my first choice.

Statistically, population wide we get more conservative as we get older. I think I am less tolerant of people who I think are wrong and don't listen to other ideas, but I am still pretty tolerant compared to most (its my job). I was at the gym a while ago and the radio station DJ was saying this is so and so whose whatever song it was is hugely popular now, I thought this is just irritating, I must be getting old. Then I remembered I hated pop at 17 as well.
But the one area I am becoming way more conservative without a doubt is beer. I used to like really high alcohol, super malty super extra hoppy 3IPAs and really malty high ABV stouts, its what i would always want if I could get it. a couple years ago I realized I had really shifted, definitely my favourite styles are well balanced brown, pale or amber ale, or an octoberfest style lager, I even like a nice light lager occasionally.

I have had my share of hazies most I don't really like, some are quite nice, but definitely beer. I have tried fruit sours that were pleasant but in general I avoid them, too bad 3/4 of the taps at most beer places on Vancouver Island are fruit sours and hazy/neipa.

When I was in high school, I used to play Frisbee golf on the Coconut Grove course while quite hammered on Miller High Life. Had a very nice time.

Not recommending that anyone get hammered, but what happened happened.

Maybe the old-fashioned kind of golf with sticks could be fun, too.

Back