Never had a NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The issue to me is that they are like 5 IBU. But that's an issue of taste; IMO it's really strange beer, like a Flemish sour. I find it more offensive to call it an IPA when it's 5% ABV and 5 IBU, but we've established that words have no meaning. (Get off my lawn.)

You could hand me purple beer and I'd drink it if it tasted good. But I like malt, and I have an aesthetic preference for balanced flavors.

Plenty of people clearly disagree.
Speaking of which, I still have these blue flowers here that turn every acidic liquid purple. Used it in beer once, worked really well! I might turn my next Saison into a Saison Prince.

Speaking of which, I still have these blue flowers here that turn every acidic liquid purple. Used it in beer once, worked really well! I might turn my next Saison into a Saison Prince.
The purple rainy saison.

I can think of the label...

1706955418625.png

Wait a second... it would be perfect for a NEIPA! Have you ever seen their labels?!?

😂😂😂

The purple rainy saison.

I can think of the label...

View attachment 840754

Wait a second... it would be perfect for a NEIPA! Have you ever seen their labels?!?

😂😂😂
Luckily I am not as bombarded by this hopextremists here in Germany as people in other countries are. :D

I think I had two or three in total this life. It goes without saying that I was not impressed and also my stomach said "do not do this again!".

Did anybody read this study about the coralation between beer titties and total hop intake?

Back in the days, when hops where still picked by hands, there were effects reported on the fertility and sex drive of men who worked in the hop fields. Let's say, the effects were not so good for them. Also women reported effects but I do not remember what they were. Well, I am cutting my alcohol consumption anyway down big time atm, so all good for me. 2-4 beers a week should not be that bad..... or is it?

Back in the days, when hops where still picked by hands, there were effects reported on the fertility and sex drive of men who worked in the hop fields. Let's say, the effects were not so good for them. Also women reported effects but I do not remember what they were. Well, I am cutting my alcohol consumption anyway down big time atm, so all good for me. 2-4 beers a week should not be that bad..... or is it?
Is see that has been covered in the linked articles. Good ones! Make me crave for low abv meads and herbal beers without hops! Gundermann here I come!

Edit: Gundermann (ground ivy) is in fact also high in phyto estrogens. Too bad.

Last edited:
And then there’s the question of when does it stop being a lawnmower and become a tractor?

8 cans of 12-ounce cans of inexpensive lager (aka 'lawnmower beer') will hit you once you drink 8 or more. Than it hits you like a tractor.
(There's a reason they come in 6-packs).
If you drink 12 or more you will see deer in your sleep... John Deere.

Murky barley-based fruit smoothie cocktails with a weird mouthfeel. Nothing like beer at all. I've tried quite a few with an open mind, but they always remind of vomiting when I was a kid,
You sure that wasn’t “hard” kombucha you were trying?
;)

NEIPAs are the hardest thing for me to brew and get right, meaning no off flavors. A 12% BA RIS is child's play compared to these. Some say they're not real beer...just try brewing them...
Honestly there’s no sense in brewing them at home since it’s basically all that breweries sell now. Better off brewing impossible to find porters, stouts, pale ales, and other disfavored styles, especially lagers since most breweries don’t even know those styles exist. 😝

Why not both? Unless it's a one tap home :)

If one has the process down and the equipment to support it - and is religious about adhering to the plan - it's not all that hard to brew something easily confused with the best of Tree House and has at least as long legs...

Cheers!

There is clearly an argumentative element to all this NEIPA hate speech. Some folks just seem to want to stir the pot and sit back and watch, then stir it some more. Some, or many even, genuinely don’t like the style but aren’t so militant in voicing their distaste. What I don’t understand is the unwillingness of some to not think and say how stupid anyone might be for liking it and not go on and on about what a disgusting style it is.

I got to thinking about beer I don't like. I would probably get smeared pretty good if I said Belgian beer was disgusting and flawed. I really do not like the phenolic and clove yeast flavors. Not at all. I made beer in the 80s that had these flavors and it turned me off enough that I quit brewing because I could not get "ale yeast" that did not turn out this way. Back then, at the one store I could get it at, yeast came in a kind of generic white sachet that was labeled Ale Yeast. By most beer standards those flavors would be considered a defect but we accept that they are OK because some (or lots of) people like them and they fit in a style. Hazy Hefeweizen has some of the same "defects" but doesn't get bashed. Some like it and some don't and let is go at that.

Maybe I could start a Belgian Beer is Defective thread, stir the pot occasionally, and see if it grows to 8 pages. I am not embarrassed to say I like a well made NEIPA. I will also admit it irritates me when folks insinuate that my opinion and taste, as well as the beer style, are defective. But this is the internet with Trolls and loud, persistent opinions. I should probably just stop reading and replying to the I Hate NEIPA threads. I do not frequent the Belgian Beer threads.

There is clearly an argumentative element to all this NEIPA hate speech. Some folks just seem to want to stir the pot and sit back and watch, then stir it some more. Some, or many even, genuinely don’t like the style but aren’t so militant in voicing their distaste. What I don’t understand is the unwillingness of some to not think and say how stupid anyone might be for liking it and not go on and on about what a disgusting style it is.

I got to thinking about beer I don't like. I would probably get smeared pretty good if I said Belgian beer was disgusting and flawed. I really do not like the phenolic and clove yeast flavors. Not at all. I made beer in the 80s that had these flavors and it turned me off enough that I quit brewing because I could not get "ale yeast" that did not turn out this way. Back then, at the one store I could get it at, yeast came in a kind of generic white sachet that was labeled Ale Yeast. By most beer standards those flavors would be considered a defect but we accept that they are OK because some (or lots of) people like them and they fit in a style. Hazy Hefeweizen has some of the same "defects" but doesn't get bashed. Some like it and some don't and let is go at that.

Maybe I could start a Belgian Beer is Defective thread, stir the pot occasionally, and see if it grows to 8 pages. I am not embarrassed to say I like a well made NEIPA. I will also admit it irritates me when folks insinuate that my opinion and taste, as well as the beer style, are defective. But this is the internet with Trolls and loud, persistent opinions. I should probably just stop reading and replying to the I Hate NEIPA threads. I do not frequent the Belgian Beer threads.
Maybe it's because Belgian beer appreciators don't goes to every post saying that if you don't have "that phenolic bite" in a beer, it isn't a good beer.

BTW I saw many posts saying that esters and phenolics are a fault, high fermentation temperature is wrong, 4 weeks in fermentors are insane and this kind of opinion around.

Do you get it? I think it's a kind of vendetta! 😂

Why not both? Unless it's a one tap home :)

If one has the process down and the equipment to support it - and is religious about adhering to the plan - it's not all that hard to brew something easily confused with the best of Tree House and has at least as long legs...

Cheers!
I tried one last year and it turned out well without any problem. Exhibited all the basic attributes with fruity hop expression, foamy head, w/ full hazy body. However, it dropped clear after a couple of weeks. Still tasty though to the last bottle.

There is clearly an argumentative element to all this NEIPA hate speech.

I will also admit it irritates me when folks insinuate that my opinion and taste, as well as the beer style, are defective.
I can remember “hate speech” (here on HBT) about brewing in a bag.
I used to think the NEIPA thing was a passing BS fad for people willing to drive to Vermont, stand in a long line and pay big bucks for a 4 pack of beer.
Then I started trying some, and some are better than others.
I like a good double IPA, but if I drink more than one the bitterness turns into stomach problems. But I don’t have that problem with NEIPAs.
Low ABV versions are around but can be hard to find, so recently I’ve been brewing my own. It’s a somewhat interesting style to brew if you dive into it and try the different techniques.
I’m also a cheapskate with a large supply of grain to use up so I’ve been experimenting with reusing the massive amount of hops from the whirlpool and dry hop in a hoppy pale or amber ale.
I just ordered some phantasm to try adding and next I’m going to get into thiolized yeast.
So for me, NEIPA has restarted my homebrewing after letting it slide for a while.
:mug:

This topic came up at our club meeting last night. We were split fairly close to what you see here: like, don’t like, don’t care. But mostly everyone agreed with my main point: hazies have killed variety at brew pubs/tasting rooms. And that’s why they garner hate.

I see more sours and seltzers than hazy, but I also see more hazy than traditional IPA.

Don't get the hate thing though. Seems to me the most vocal "haters" are those least likey to go to the brew pubs in the first place. And I don't believe selection the predominant reason they don't go.

My approach to beer in general and homebrewing in particular is that it's like a radio dial, a continumum of styles and flavors to taste and try to produce. My F-in-law had trouble understanding why I didn't just brew a single style when he 1st moved in with us. He has since expanded his pallet and has come to appreciate more than my Stout/porter and acknowledge that even my IPA has appeal as real beer. The aforementioned "hazy" blew his mind that the fruity taste was derived from hops/yeast expression rather than adding citrus fruit to the beer.

I tried one last year and it turned out well without any problem. Exhibited all the basic attributes with fruity hop expression, foamy head, w/ full hazy body. However, it dropped clear after a couple of weeks. Still tasty though to the last bottle.

If you used flaked grains that can happen. Try using malted oats, with or without malted wheat. Hazy until it's kicked...

Cheers!

Good to know. It was an extract 19% Goldent light DME, 49% Pilsen LME and 19% Bavarian Wheat DME. With Simpson Golden Naked Oats in the steep. Anyway, the taste was good and if you drink w/ your eyes closed apperance isn't important unless it is "putrid purple/brown" like Bobby_M described in the other thread. So looking at the color, perhaps a little oxidation? Predicted SRM was 4.6 so I am guessing this is darker than it should be. I have been making the jump to AG so I may try this again sometime, but I have alot of other brews to work on also.

1708630676777.jpeg

Anyway, the taste was good and if you drink w/ your eyes closed apperance isn't important unless it is "putrid purple/brown" like Bobby_M described in the other thread. So looking at the color, perhaps a little oxidation? Predicted SRM was 4.6 so I am guessing this is darker than it should be.

I think your guess is correct.

Good to know. It was an extract 19% Goldent light DME, 49% Pilsen LME and 19% Bavarian Wheat DME. With Simpson Golden Naked Oats in the steep.
I recently did an extract low ABV NEIPA using 3 lbs Pilsnen light DME, a mini mash with 1 lb wheat malt, 1 lb Oat Malt and 8 oz carapils, 4 gallon batch, 30 min boil, 1 oz Amarillo and ElDorado in whirlpool below 180F/ overnight porch chill at 30f ambient , 1 oz Amarillo added when pitching yeast, was going to double dry hop with more Amarillo and ElDorado after 3 days, but I pulled a sample and it was hoppy enough. Not the best NEIPA, but not bad either. Still hazy after a few weeks. Trying the same as above but adding Phantasm to the fermenter and future experiments will try different yeast and hops. I’m thinking Galaxy and Mosaic would be worth trying.

Interesting. A bit more involved but your hopping schedule was close to my effort. I may try another some time but right now I'm targeting easier beers that I can do well. Working on an amber and brown ale that I can scale up to 5 gallon batch seems attainable right now. 😄

View attachment 842474 View attachment 842472

My image editor color picker says that's between 15 and 25 SRM...

Do you know the specified depth for that particular set of color swatches? For example, the BJCP swatches specify a depth of 2", i.e. daylight through 5 cm of beer.

From @bike2brew's pic, and assuming that's a more or less standard pint glass, I would have guessed closer to 15 than 25, but otoh, the brightess of the exposure can also have a big impact.

I was thinking 21 but color swatches aren't the easiest to match up. Given the smart technology seems like you should be able to scan and get a densitometer value

Attachments

• 1708705097095.png
    1708705097095.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Back