Neophyte from Alpharetta, GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspain3

Reaction score
Hey everyone. After years of saying I wanted to homebrew (seriously, I've had Palmer's book for thee+ years), I finally bought a starter kit. It was an impulse buy at the time and as my scheduled brew day approaches I'm learning more and more that there's a lot I don't know.

I stumbled onto this forum after doing numerous brew-related searches. I've built a 60' wort chiller out of 3/8" copper tubing but outside of that I just have the starter kit and a turkey fryer w/30 qt pot. I'm definitely running a fairly bare bones operation but hopefully my first batch turns out ok (drinkable). I've chosen a Brewer's Best Double IPA kit to start with. If this works out, I'd like to try AG and work on some clone recipes.

Down the road, I'd like to build a ferm chamber since it gets pretty hot here in the summer months. I'm very hopeful that this will be an enjoyable hobby for me. Plus, I work across the street from a local brew shop, so that's convenient.

Welcome to a fun, rewarding hobby! I hope your 1st batch turns out well. You'll be hooked for sure!
I know what you mean about the heat. I live a bit north of you, in Rome, so I'm thinking about a fermentation chamber, too. For now, a swamp cooler seems to work okay. Plenty of info about them on this forum.
Best of luck!

jaydavis, I have family from Rome (Armuchee). I tried an old fridge on the warmest setting but it was still too cold. I'll likely move the fermenter to the guest bath tub and try to regulate the temp with water/ice/towels.

This forum has way more information than I can digest at the moment. I have a lot to learn.

Back