Neglicted Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed4

Reaction score
My wife and mother in law decided to give Kombucha a try about six months ago. That lasted about three months.

So for the last three months its been sitting on the counter in the kitchen in a dark ceramic crock with a couple layers of muslin for a lid. Is the liquid and scoby still any good? It smells really sour, like any good sour beer.

I thought about trying to make Kombucha but I dont want to start over.

Should still be okay. Only one way to find out though. Drain everything except the mother and 2-3 cups of the old tea. Make a new batch of sugar/tea and add the mother, check it after 5-12 days.

If it doesn't work out, you're only out 6 or 7 tea bags and a cup of sugar.

**for a gallon.

Yup you'll never know if you don't try. If the yeasts don't come back, you can use a little ale yeast. Ive used some Safale S-04 with good results.

posted via Home Brew mobile app

As long as there is no mold or any other funny stuff, then it should be fine. Just make a new batch with it and see how it goes...

Thanks for the replies! I will give it a shot.

I'd eventually like to make some fruit versions.

Many times I haven't been able to bottle mine until 3 months or so has gone by. At this point I mix it with an equal amount of freshly prepared tea usually flavored, 3qts tea to 3/4cup sugar, and then bottle. I usually do 1 plastic water or soda bottle to guage the carbonation level and when the bottle is hard then the batch goes into the fridge. This is more carbonated than store bought but is how I like it. You could use less sugar or refrigerate sooner if you like.

me too! I always thought raspberry would be real good.

Raspberry kombucha is one of my favourites. I find that the taste of raspberries matches really well with the sourness of the kombucha. Further grapes, strawberries and sour cherries can also be quite nice...

Back